Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Jensen tone chart  (Read 5123 times)

reb

• View Profile
Jensen tone chart
« on: June 30, 2013, 06:36:46 PM »
after being frustrated when buying jensen replacements at their 'tone guide' (or lack thereof), i found this-if you have never replaced a speaker in an amp 'you just can't learn to love', this might help you take a shine to that amp.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/tech_corner/jensen_tone_chart

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Jensen tone chart
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 10:48:57 PM »
That's one of the best if not the best descriptive layout I've seen on speakers. Well, there's not many for real. Thanks for bringin' that to the table.

hillbilly-joe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 08:54:11 AM »
Wow! Thanks for the post.

VikingBlues

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 07:11:55 AM »
Amazingly informative  8) - shows what be be done with time effort and enthusiasm. Things that are often missing in product information on manufacturers sites.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 03:15:30 AM »
guys, eminence used to have 'sound clips'. some of them were really helpful:

http://www.eminence.com/support/tone-guide/?model=Copperhead

to find the speaker you want to 'interview', go to their home page, look up the speaker size, then click on it, go to soundclips.  note-on copperhead, it appears that pete anderson did one for them....now that's 'name brand testing' i say!

when i went on the cabinet building kick in about 2008, i now have enough cabs (really only need one 12" and one 10" to interview a bunch of speakers, but should be 3/4" ply, i think) to connect a combo amp output to a cab with a speaker in it to see 'what am i getting if i swap speakers'.   in a couple cases, has made a difference between selling an amp and keeping it with a replacement speaker in it...amazing how much difference a speaker can make.  the low watt 10" speakers appear to be gone-i have a delta demon that i love with an epi valve jr. head in an old 'rebel' cabinet.  any low watt amp gets run through this cab before i decide i want to keep it. running the epi with a ts 9 and a delay through this cab gets that creamy sustain that just defines 'lead guitar' to my ears.

i will say in my opinion that speaker swapping has made more of a difference in sound to me than pickup swapping...and it's easier, i think...although i admit i am lazy at heart. :)

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »
Hey Reb, didn't know you were into building cabinets. Not a bad "kick' to be in as long as you got ever' thing you need at your fingertips. Y'know, the right tools and stuff like that. Speakin' of kicks, I recently called myself tryin' to put together pedals of all things, (and I thought pickups were a pain). I reboxed my DOD chorus after numerous attempts (not yer normal wiring), made an effects looper and an A/B-Y switcher. Now I understand why they charge so much for point to point, hand wired stuff. I done ruined three 3PDT stomp switches tryin' to solder those itty-bitty terminals! Well, two outta three ain't bad. I ruined my DOD chorus. I knew the job was dangerous when I took it. Couldn't get a correct schematic to save my life. C'est la vie! Got me a Catalinbread Callisto Chorus / Vibrato pedal as a replacement. While I was at it, picked up that Zoom MS-50G pedal as a consolation prize. Pretty cool.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 08:31:59 PM »
zag, i have done 'crude' woodworking for years. made my own headboard, at one time, made a bed frame, have made powder horns, shelves...all sorts of stuff. in doing so, i accumulated saws/drill press/sander....so the cabinet building is no big deal.  especially after i read somewhere that some guys were using liquid bed liner (for pickup beds) as covering. makes a great covering, no muss with gluing on something that wrinkles and looks really bad. black paint even aint so bad. the grill covers, i used hardware cloth-prevents feet from meeting speakers. plain 3/4" ply seems to work best.

if you remember back a year or so, i tried to make a 3 way 'bypass' pedal...and i think i burned up a few dpdt switches doing it.

i got my hands on a fender pro junior real cheap-and the 'why' is, it buzzes. not terrible, but audible when you're not playing. i was going to ask you about an article i read on replacing the input jack wire with shielded wire...until i realized...the damn thing is a thin circuit board. mess up the circuit board, and you buy a new amp. the amp sounds too good to mess up, so i decided to live with the buzzing...seems like a good decision, if a guy like you can't successfully solder dpdt's...:) i'm certain a klutz like me is going to burn that dang circuit board....

you know about that website 'byoc' pedals dontcha? i hope i'm not starting another money hole in your pocket...

http://buildyourownclone.com/

no...i have not built one. i have destroyed enough electronics to build a computer in my lifetime...lol!

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 12:17:05 AM »
Yeah, I checked those BYOC guys out a while back. The good thing about that approach is they've got everything laid out for you. All you gotta do is put it together. I guess my approach to pedal building is different (and cheaper) than most, 'cause I have most of that kind of stuff in stock. I remedied the stomp switch problem by using a wiring board for 3PDT Switches, like so -  http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PPP&Product_Code=9002&Category_Code=SWI Great problem solver. My homemade looper was a success as was my A/B-Y switcher box. I'm doing a octave UP pedal next. Everybody's got octave down pedals. Traded a Fender Sidekick 30 bass amp (I got it free, DOA and repaired it a month ago) today for an MXR Super Comp. Last time I had one was when the original Dyna Comp first came out back in the '70s. Think it was late '75 for me.