Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Reproduction  (Read 3588 times)

reb

• View Profile
Reproduction
« on: September 02, 2013, 11:50:24 AM »

REPRODUCTION   

I am near the end of watching an episode of 'Artists Den', wherein Sam Beam (Iron and Wine) and band are composing live.

In my experience, I have noticed that there are many who cannot think 'outside the box'.  Not only do they avoid any thinking on rails other than their railroad, they avoid any missteps from 'normal' appearance,action or thought.  The number of small minds is enormous.

I wonder if Mr. Beam is aware how fortunate he is to have musicians who can hang with changes?  The egg surrounding their composition is cracked....cracked in a way that allows things to happen in the moment.  Having worked with some people who want everything to sound 'exactly like Mr. X sang it', I recall finding them not only tiresome, but irritating in the extreme.  It's one thing to have the instructions to change the oil in a 1965 Corvair and follow them exactly.  It's quite another to play music live and have idiots go mad because something was added that's not on the record.

The thought occurred to me that making music 'just like the record' is akin to the forgeries in paintings.  They are evidently sold as originals; when discovered, these reproductions may garner some level of respect for their exactitude and craft, but gain far more disgust for the trickery.  Why, then, do the same reproductions get praise in 'tribute bands' or statements are made such as 'Wow! They sound just like (the original band)!'?

I'm stumped.  I don't respect one copy any more than another.  Copies are fine as copies-an exact copy has some value in furniture, auto parts, machines of all sorts and cooking . Put forth as original art in music, painting or many other disciplines, they flop for me.  I suppose this is why I am so taken with originality and flexibility in many things.  When I find it in myself, I try to cherish and nuture it, despite comments of others (since many others are not capable of appreciating originality or even recognizing it in some cases).  When I see it in an artist or a mechanic or a mathematician or anyone, I find it pulls my attention to their thinking which I very much respect.

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Reproduction
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 06:34:06 PM »
First off, where you been? :) Naw, anyway I can relate to what you're sayin'. I have a confession to make. I was one of those who did just that. The time was the mid to late 60s. I was playing  in "Top 40" bands back in the day when the best compliment you and your group could get was "Hey, y'all sound just like the record"! We didn't.....no, I didn't know any better. I guess it was a badge of honor to us at the time. I was just happy to be doing my thing and interacting with folks and being "special". Got a chance to play with some big names for a while. Now then, I was playing original music. As time passed, the thrill began to fizzle and folks went their own way, I discovered that I had an ability to compose stuff (to a certain degree). I didn't know I had it. Sure, it comes and goes, but I do have it. At a point I reached a plateau where my playing just stalled. I wasn't improving. I quit for uh.....about 12 years. Did the soundman and Dee Jay thing just to continue being around music. Then I got a second wind and here I am again. I'm more educated about lots of things. Took my TV repair background and applied it to repairing amps. Learning more about the "nuts and bolts" of the instrument I love to play. I choose to do my own thing now. Musically that is! I do okay. :)

reb

• View Profile
Re: Reproduction
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
ha....been working on a house i'm trying to sell. at my age, and my condition (s), work goes slow, and the 'cost' is high. so, not goofing off, but....well, killing myself slowly with my fingers...(hahaha) playing my life with my words...

i can see where one is pulled into the 'tribute' band. when i was 17, i played in a credence band.  we were lucky to be able to play credence songs.  didn't have any idea of 'composition'. if we had....who knows. probably would never have had 3 girls come to dance in our practice space :). that was the highlight of the band.....

i pretty much dropped music for the next 20+ years. didn't come back to it until very late in my working years. now, i have time to think about it as much as play it, which is how Sam Beam's band got me thinking.

i am trying to learn to compose. it is far harder than most people imagine. then again, it would've been easier when i was younger had i known there was that pathway.

took a guitar over to a repairman i knew of. we got to talking about the idea of 'reproduction'. he was in division level band for all o fhis army career.  he told me that they hit a wall with 'new music'. the colonels and generals' wives wanted to dance to frank sinatra, and the band at first knew 'new' stuff like barry manilow, which was not 'preferred' lol....so, their customers demanded what they wanted. another way to be trapped from composing.

he also agreed with me that learning to record multitrack on the computer was a major p.i.t.a.. (i need all the sympathy i can get with that, since i seem to be avoiding it)

saw your amp finds.  i wish i had someplace to play those....the 6l6 sounds like something i would enjoy messing with.