Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Input Time! "Reading Music"  (Read 3287 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Input Time! "Reading Music"
« on: May 11, 2014, 04:53:35 PM »
Hi folks! This time I'm talking about the ability to read music, notation, charts an' all that stuff. As you probably know, this subject has been discussed countless number of times. I'll bet you've heard somebody you know say "I'm an ear man!", well that's me to a "tee". I don't know what's true for this forum, but I figured I bring this topic here to see who's who in the art of reading.

I'll start off. I don't think it's no secret that I don't know a lick! Hell, I don't even know the guitar neck like I should. I vaguely remember some of the basic things we should know as guitar players and I didn't learn those until after I decided to return to guitar playing after a 12 year hiatus. I figured the first thing to do was to at least get the "caged" system down, then I'd have a fighting chance! That's the guitar stuff.

Reading? The closest I got was the basic notation stuff you'd get in like......junior high or something like that. Y'know, things like quarter, half and whole notes, etc. Now I have heard folks "say" they don't read, but the way they carry themselves and blurt out names of chords and scales.....well they've impressed me, that's for sure. I understand some stuff, but not to the fullest I guess you could say.

Okay! Who are the "readers" here, what's your take on the situation and how important is it to you?

Play on folks! ;)

Vladan

• http://vladanmovies.blogspot.com
  • High on own Supply
    • View Profile
Re: Input Time! "Reading Music"
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 03:56:15 AM »
I can't read, not in real time. I know the symbols, so I can figure the key and all that, and learn the notes from the staff, then rehearse it after memorizing.

I'm quite good at reading chord symbols, fake sheet. Not for too complicated stuff, but for rock and roll, I think I'm quite ok.

hillbilly US joe

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 02:20:31 AM »
I can read scores as long as there are no sharps or flats. Just the key of C is all I know, but I think using the net I can figure out now if there are flats and sharps. There's only 12 notes, right.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 04:31:37 PM »
I am not a good notation reader, and the same goes for TAB.

What is the real important thing is to know where the notes are on the fretboard. That includes chords, chord tones, intervals, etc - if you have it in your head and can use it when improvising, that's all you need in my opinion. The exception would be studio work and such situations when you are required to instantly play what's handed to you, but honestly, how many of us are frequently in such situations? :) Not me!