Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Strings & Amps  (Read 3465 times)

rickyc

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Strings & Amps
« on: August 25, 2013, 04:52:34 PM »
I have a Chet Atkins CE, a Larrivee OM-9, and a Kirk Sand nylon that I inherited when my son passed away last year. I know nothing about acoustic or nylon instruments. What kind/size of strings should I put on the Larrivee and what should I put on the two nylons?
Also, I understand I can't just plug these into my Fender Deluxe Reverb. Will it hurt it? If I have to buy an acoustic amp can you give me some recommendations for a reasonable one for just sitting at home and "noodling"? I won't be giving stage concerts:-) I am 78 and a novice but want to try these great guitars.

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Strings & Amps
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 11:54:35 PM »
Sorry to hear about your son. I've been there 27 years ago. Don't see any reason why you can't use your Fender Deluxe if you wanted to, 'cause no harm will come to anything. However, just about everybody's making their version of amps for acoustics. Since I too know absolutely nothing about acoustic guitars, I do know those models are definitely NOT cheap! Anyways, as far as strings go, you could find out what came stock on those models and go from there.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Strings & Amps
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 11:08:08 PM »
Wow, we'll for starters welcome to the forum and sorry for your loss.  I suggest running the guitars up to a decent guitar store and ask them to restoring each one (nylon acoustics are sometimes really different).  Keep the packages they used for future reference.

Yes the DR will work, will it sound good? Not really.  Most acoustic guitar amps are really just PA Systems.. You do better plugging it into a stereo than a regular amp.