Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: BYOG DAY!  (Read 4184 times)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
BYOG DAY!
« on: January 14, 2015, 08:17:21 AM »
Over Christmas, my wonderful wife succumbed to my request for a guitar kit.  I requested a Les Paul Junior Double Cut model from Precision Guitar because they have a reputation for a quality construction design process.  While the kit itself was inexpensive compared with trying to buy an actual Gibson LPJDC, it wasn't cheap.  I decided I could opt for parts from GFS, using their Dog-ear P90, tuners, wiring harness, and a Wilkinson adjustable wrap around bridge.  I like the look of the wood grain on a guitar and decided I wanted to try TruOil as it has a reputation of being a strong finish that is easy to apply...  Just to add to the fun; I found an idea for a pick-guard.  I used a record cut in the shape of a Jr Pick-guard.  The results were great for my first time.    Without further ado, here's the gratuitous glamor shots...

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: BYOG DAY!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 12:01:57 PM »
Sweet! How does it sound?

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 04:36:08 PM »
It sounds really good.  I'm wondering though if I should of used different pots.  I find it to be rather bright, so I'm think perhaps I should of used 250k pots instead of 500. 

Vladan

• http://vladanmovies.blogspot.com
  • High on own Supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 06:15:46 PM »
Looks like a nice piece of plank. I'vo no doubt it sounds good. How's intonation over the neck?

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 08:15:53 PM »
Looks like a nice piece of plank. I'vo no doubt it sounds good. How's intonation over the neck?

Thankfully the Wilkinson was innotatable.  Otherwise is great.  I just swapp the 500k tone pot for a 250.  Huge difference, makes this P90 absolutely scream without being too bright.

Memory Lane Jr

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 04:40:25 PM »
 Maybe my eyes playing up but the bridge looks out of alignment to me?

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 11:00:06 PM »
Nope, it's supposed to be slightly angled, part of the original innotation when the first tailpieces were just wrap around.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 11:11:47 AM »
All these months later, I still love rocking out with this guitar.  I actually replaced the GFS P90 (seemed way too bright) with a Seymour Duncan Mini-Humbucker 3.  This has effectively replaced my Gibson Les Paul....

I also replaced the pots with full size CTS pots too.  I'm strongly considering have a min installed in the neck too... But that will require a professional luthier.  My thought is it may also compromise the neck joing...

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 12:16:48 PM »
Cool guitar. I'd leave it as it is!