Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Tube Pedals  (Read 2189 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Tube Pedals
« on: July 22, 2016, 07:48:08 PM »
Y'know, did ya ever wonder why some folk turn their noses up to solid state items most notably amplification devices (otherwise known as amps)? It's said that tube amps are "warmer", more "touch responsive" an' other things you probably already know. Well, I agree to all that since I have both tube AND solid state amps, but I don't find it necessary to bash those who for whatever reason use them.

Mostly all of those who do th' "bashing" use pedals right? It's pretty obvious that pedals that actually run tubes in them don't seem to be sellin' as well as their fully solid state counterparts. I have a Maxon RTO880 (the small one)!  Maxon had this to share on their website - 

"After more than 20 years of loyal service, Maxon is retiring their Real Tube Series models RCP660, ROD880 and ROD881."
I see they have the "Real Tube II Series" out now. Wonder how long they're gonna last?

So, what's up with that? I guess that question falls into th' same category as that world famous question "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll pop?" The world may never know!

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Tube Pedals
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 06:04:02 AM »
Yeah I think "solid state" pedals often sound better into a tube amp. Not sure why though, to be honest. Maybe it's just a matter of two different approaches working better together?

gitapik

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 01:36:19 PM »
Doesn't matter whether the signal is SS, tube, vox...whatever. The tube amp will have a different response to the initial signal than an SS amp.

What's interesting to me is that my solid state OD pedals work better than my Real Tube pedal when paired with tube amps. 

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 06:39:06 PM »
Well, my observation was basically aimed at people's mindset on this subject rather than the phenomenon itself. Know what I mean?

When someone boasts "all tube this and all tube that", I get th' impression that they're talkin' about everything, which would include pedals as well as amps. After all, they're all part of th' signal path. Like I said.......just an observation.

Wow, this little uh.......topic was started last year sometime! It'll be a whole year this July 22nd! Happy anniversary to this post haha!