Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Epiphone acoustic w/bolt-on neck  (Read 15933 times)

creekster52

• View Profile
Epiphone acoustic w/bolt-on neck
« on: January 25, 2011, 11:11:07 PM »
I bought an Epiphone dreadnought acoustic with a bolt-on neck in the early 70's. It was from a low volume dealer, so it could have been a slightly earlier model (NOS). It was not an expensive guitar by any means ($129 maybe). It did not have block inlays or inlay in the headstock, other than the Epiphone logo, which was inlay (not decal). The rosette was a somewhat colorful faux mosaic.

I have not been able to recall the model number of that guitar. I thought it might have been an F-100, but have been told there was not an Epiphone model F-100. I have looked at several FT series models, but they all seem to have block inlays.

These aren't particularly desirable, but I liked mine a lot and would eventually like to find one for sale.

Anyone have any model number suggestions?   

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Epiphone acoustic w/bolt-on neck
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 01:41:41 PM »
The FT-100 was prior to being made in Japan.  The guitar you have probably has a blue sticker insdie with a Kalamazoo Michigan labled on it.  I purchased a 1970/1 twelve string model #6735 for $25 last summer.  There was a FT-100 made in the mid 1940's, but its not a bolt on neck.  The bolt on concept was developed by Leo Fender with the telecaster.  Bolt on acoustic necks didn't appear until the mid to late 60's.  If you paid $125 or so for the guitar, that's about the most you could get for it. 

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 01:50:35 PM »
Here's an old Gibson post I had when I bought my twelve string.  Sold for $100 as it was too much trouble to bother fixing up.
http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/38468-need-info-on-a-epiphone-6732/page__st__20

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
Does an FT-130 (Caballero) sound familiar? Maybe an FT-145 (Texan). Those had dot inlays. Then came the FT-150 which had block inlays. All of those were early 70's stuff.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 09:50:01 PM »
So basically, the FT series were the only Epiphones with bolt-on necks?

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 12:10:30 PM »
So basically, the FT series were the only Epiphones with bolt-on necks?

I don't know if they were the ONLY ones, but I was thinking about your discription and I was thinking bolt on necks with dot inlays.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 04:32:47 PM »
No, the 1960's epiphones were FT series guitars with glued necks made in Michigan.  In 1970 from 1970 to 1972 they had the 6XXX series before going back to the FT naming. 

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 09:21:19 PM »
Mine was definitely an "F" something (LOL)! One other thing I remembered...it didn't have the "E" logo on the pickguard, and I can't remember if it had the zero fret either. I have been checking Ebay for a while and have not seen one like it listed.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 09:14:20 AM »
Mine was definitely an "F" something (LOL)! One other thing I remembered...it didn't have the "E" logo on the pickguard, and I can't remember if it had the zero fret either. I have been checking Ebay for a while and have not seen one like it listed.

Its very possible yours was from 1974 or newer.  Which is also good news because the Epiphone quality increased then too.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 11:48:40 AM »
I purchased it in 1972.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 01:13:41 PM »
You purchcased in '72, doesn't mean it wasn't hanging on the wall or it was from a stock that's been sitting in a warehouse.  Still its a cool guitar, just not worth much even if in new condition...  But that old wood probably sounds rather good though!

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 08:51:28 PM »
Yeah DB...I purchased it from a smaller music store that specialized in pianos and band instruments. They didn't stock a lot of guitars, so I could have been NOS. I have started looking at FT models on Ebay. I may try one of the FT-120 or FT-130 models. I kinda like the smaller body, but I also like the FT-150 although they generally sell for more than I can spend.