Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Fitting bridge pins  (Read 5253 times)

creekster52

• View Profile
Fitting bridge pins
« on: May 07, 2011, 10:46:51 PM »
If you have purchased Martin replacement bridge pins for your import guitar, you may have been disapointed with the fit. Many imports have 3 degree bridge pins, while the Martin pins are 5 degrees, so they do not seat deep enough.

It's an easy fix. You can take it to the shop and get them to do it, or you can do it yourself. I started checking around for reamers and was shocked at some of the prices I found online (Stew-Mac @ $57.49 was the highest). I even checked on Ebay and found some, but with shipping costs figured in they still seemed high.

I finally found one at Harbor freight for $3.49.  ( http://www.harborfreight.com/t-handle-reamer-66936.html )

If I was operating a guitar repair shop and working on high end guitars, or making custom guitars, etc., I might consider the high dollar tools. But, for the task at hand...simply enlargening existing holes, the Harbor Freight tool does the job.

I corrected the problem on two guitars in about 30 minutes, which included loosening & re-tightening/tuning strings.

p.s. You might want to add some tape on either side of the T-handle to keep it from accidently falling out on your guitar top. 

pictoratus

• View Profile
Re: Fitting bridge pins
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 11:28:08 PM »
Thanks for the link. Looks like it would also be good for when you're changing tuners and need to enlarge the holes for tuners with a bigger diameter.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting bridge pins
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 07:46:02 AM »
Also works really well if you are adding an input jack in place of a strap button.