Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Mitchell MO100SVS  (Read 8437 times)

creekster52

• View Profile
Mitchell MO100SVS
« on: October 15, 2011, 02:59:49 PM »
I picked up a Mitchell MO100S today at GC. Got the web price match and used a $20 off coupon. Walked out of there with the guitar for $119 including tax. I hope I can find a case for less than I paid for the guitar (LOL)!

It's an auditorium size guitar (000 size) in vintage burst. Here's the link...

http://www.mitchellguitars.com/products/index.cfm?product=MD100SVS

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Mitchell MO100SVS
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 04:43:35 PM »
That looks like a well built piece. I like. If I played acoustic I'd consider one of those.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 10:21:29 PM »
One thing I should probably mention...Mitchell does not recommend using strings heavier than medium gauge. So, if you're into bluegrass flat-picking, a Mitchell guitar may not be a good choice.

I decided to err on the side of safety, at least for a year or two until the wood is a little seasoned, and strung with Elixir extra light gauge (10-47). I did the same with my Mitchell MD300S.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »
Wow, that's what I use on my strat.  Very thin strings.  Mitchell is a budget guitar, doesn't mean is of poor quality.  Post some music clips of it, if you can.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 11:16:44 PM »
Wow, that's what I use on my strat.  Very thin strings.  Mitchell is a budget guitar, doesn't mean is of poor quality.  Post some music clips of it, if you can.

It's the same gauge I use on my electrics too, DB. Surprisingly, I like them on my acoustics too. I mostly enjoy finger picking on my acoustics, so the extra-light strings don't bother me much.

I didn't mean to imply that Mitchell guitars are poor quality. Both of mine had very good craftmanship, particularly for the price point ($129.95 blow-out), and both are solid top guitars. I do wonder about how well the wood was cured before assembly though, so I decided on the extra-light strings to reduce stresses for a little while.

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 08:53:13 AM »
thousands of les pauls are sold soaking wet, and they have little problems.  you should be alright with your acoustic.

pictoratus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 08:56:44 PM »
Sounds like a great deal. I've been seriously considering getting an acoustic. May look into one of these.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 12:37:24 PM »
Another good budget guitar is Ibanez and Epiphone.  I have a Ibanez Performance that's about 9 years old now.  Its bridge began to lift a couple years ago.  Other than the action past the 12th fret being a little higher than I like, its lasted a long time.  I came close to either buying an Epiphone Masterbuilt or a Seagull Coastline earlier this year.  I was lucky to get my hands on a Heritage HFT445 that had a neck reset. The reset was done right, but a neck reset on an acoustic is like a headstock break on an electric.  The value of the guitar goes way down which to me, makes almost any guitar out there affordable if the work was done right...