Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Do you read standard notation?  (Read 20283 times)

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Do you read standard notation?
« on: January 31, 2012, 12:01:04 PM »
Do you read standard notation? How often?

Why did you learn it? Or what did you not learn it?

I can read some, but I honestly do not like doing it. It's a lot of work, mostly because I rarely do read. When I try, it's like starting all over again.

Here's a chart that may be used as motivation for staying away from standard notation! :)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:38:33 PM by robert »

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Do you read standard notation?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 02:04:52 PM »
HaHa, just thinkin' about it is enough motivation for me to stay away. I tried to learn at one time but it was easier to play by ear (for me) because I had a few years of playing by ear under my belt. I was younger and set in my ways. Despite playing professionally for a while, I don't know the fret board as well as I should. I don't know how I got away with it all these years, but I did. I still "hunt" for the right notes sometimes. I must admit, looking at all that stuff (notation) is most intimidating. I believe if you come out the gate learning notation, for some it can be like second nature I guess. If one mixes it up with playing by ear, one might find themselves being the complete musician. I guess.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:04:13 AM »
I started to learn that in Jr. High.... Too much effort just to figure out chords, let alone much else... Gave up, went to tabs or watching... I found most of the stuff I want to play is a result of feeling and less about technique.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:21:41 AM »
Why is it so hard to learn to read notation for most guys like us? It seems difficult for most of us, if I am not mistaken.

Yet, 10 year old kids read notation a lot easier and better! What's up with that?

hillbilly-joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:05:11 AM »
Looks like my daughters piano class lesson

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 12:35:16 PM »
Why is it so hard to learn to read notation for most guys like us? It seems difficult for most of us, if I am not mistaken.

Yet, 10 year old kids read notation a lot easier and better! What's up with that?

Haha, at ten it's a heck of alot easier to learn......even easier at six. Why do you think these child prodigy types like Bonamassa (I don't know if he can read, but he comes to mind) get where they're at? You start early enough, and just being in that evironment, there's no telling what you can do musically. Us late bloomers ( I didn't start until 14 years of age) get set in our ways, and just stay there, 'cause it's easier, but it works for the most part. At least for me.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 12:53:56 PM »

Their brains aren't filled with all the lifelong knowledge we've picked up.  We have daily responisbilities and priorities over learning something with little impact on our daily lives...

hillbilly-joe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »
Let me find the link to reading guitar music. I have it on my computer, or I may have posted it already.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 05:58:40 PM »
i used to be able to find the middle c note. then i found out that some notes-maybe d flat and c sharp?-are 'the same'. and i quit wanting to read any kind of notation. crazy ast s*&t. i know a few 'real musicians'. they think their 'stuff don't stink' coz they read notes. uh-huh. snooty.

i wish i could figure out computer recording, he heck with notation....:)

Memory Lane Jr

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 08:30:46 PM »

I can read some, but I honestly do not like doing it. It's a lot of work, mostly because I rarely do read. When I try, it's like starting all over again.

Here's a chart that may be used as motivation for staying away from standard notation! :)

Jeez is that language something from an alien planet Robert :P
When you pick up your first guitar at fifty five there is not enough time left on this planet to try learning that sort of thing ;D
I will just stick to Tab.
But my long gone but much loved Mum could have read that no worries, she played a mean piano. :-* 

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 10:18:56 PM »

When you pick up your first guitar at fifty five there is not enough time left on this planet to try learning that sort of thing ;D
But my long gone but much loved Mum could have read that no worries, she played a mean piano. :-* 

Yeah, that is a funny chart. Just read the comments and instructions in there - hilarious! It's a joke chart, and well done it is.

Memory Lane Jr

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 10:39:45 PM »

Yeah, that is a funny chart. Just read the comments and instructions in there - hilarious! It's a joke chart, and well done it is.

I loved that one Robert & it's not even April Fool's day, haha. ;D

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 10:19:28 AM »
...but it will be april fool's soon...and perhaps bach will rise from the dead and say 'i'm bach!'. :)

hey-oooh!

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 07:07:01 AM »
...but it will be april fool's soon...and perhaps bach will rise from the dead and say 'i'm bach!'. :)

hey-oooh!

funny, especially because the first notation in the pic  instructs you to play beethoven's sonata with a rock feel.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 01:45:57 PM »
i don't do rock feels. i do other kinds of feels, though...strawberry feels forever?

i will really really try to quit the music puns...but it's terribly difficult.