Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Do you read standard notation?  (Read 20823 times)

VikingBlues

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Re: Do you read standard notation?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 02:06:17 PM »
That notation chart is wonderful - it makes me grin widely and also reminds me how much I don't miss reading notation. I think I had my fill of notation when learning classical guitar.

I'm not sure notation really suits an instrument where the same note can be played in more than one place either. And notation really doesn't cope very well with "feel" and subtleties of playing. Not that my guitar teacher didn't keep instructing that I should play the notes EXACTLY as they were written - rubato was pretty well punishable by death - didn't do the classical guitar any harm when Sogovia made it famous and used that technique!  >:(

Fortunately with too many difficult stretches at the more advanced grades RSI kicked in and I had to give up the lessons and the classical playing.

I just love doing improvs on an electric now - no notation at all - not even any tabs - just go with the flow. Playing the notes that come from your own ideas just seems so much more satisfying than playing what someone else has decided for you, and the subtelties of timing, tone and volume are up to you. And much less strain on the hands despite the bends.  :)

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 06:31:07 PM »
i don't do rock feels. i do other kinds of feels, though...strawberry feels forever?

i will really really try to quit the music puns...but it's terribly difficult.

i'll say this for you reb, your a much better guitar player than a comedian.
hahahaha

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 08:27:23 PM »
and i never had as much practice at the guitar as comedy, either :)  now i feels....dejected.  no standup for me...:(

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 08:10:54 AM »
well, don't feel bad, i bet no one ever told don rickles that he was a jammin mofo

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 01:42:29 PM »
that makes me laugh to think about don rickles...i remember him and cc/muhammed ali going at it on tv..in black n white. and then the football announcing with dandy don....if i ever get as good on guitar as rickles was at insults, i'll be happily satisfied.

i think you may have called me a jammin' mofo here, dh??? thanks! i needed that :)

sven

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 03:34:26 AM »
I learned to read in College, but was never very good at it.  Mostly Jazz charts with a single line melody or "head".

Its a great skill if you're gonna be a studio ace, but I haven't used it much since college.  I think learning to read rhythm from standad notation IS really useful though.  I learned a lot about phrasing by tapping out rhythms off a page from soloists I like.  Not quite like actually learning the solo, but it still helps.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 11:33:31 AM »
I started to learn when I was a kid, but that's because I had a jr. high band teacher as our music teacher.  After two semesters, I moved on and never looked back.  Don't really have the time anymore.  Guitar gets really complicated and sometimes tabs are really hard to follow for me now...

caliban4

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 11:35:18 PM »
Standard notation is not all that difficult if you do just 5 minutes a day.  It adds up over time.  I think it helps tremendously if you want to be a well rounded musician to at least have some rudimentary reading skills.  Tab is great but you need standard notation to go along with it to appreciate the dynamics, phrasing, timing, etc of the piece of music you're playing.  You can bring out the subtle nuances more if you know how the music is intended to be read and played.  For guitar, tab is a godsend because it obviates the need to read all the ledger lines especially in the upper register of the guitar.

Just my 2 cents worth from playing guitar after I first learned piano and violin.  I can appreciate the guitar more for that reason.  My only crticism for the electric guitar, such as it is, is that there is not much material for extended solo pieces.  Most of the music I have come across is where the guitar is playing harmony, or used with a backing track or just playing riffs in between.  What I find really interesting is the way the instrument is used in an improv style most of the time, unlike other traditional instruments (though improv for those instruments was more common in the 19th century).  For that same reason, it would be great to learn how to play improv with a solo line punctuated with chordal fragments so that the music sounds more complete and also less monotonous.  Most people just play a solo line to a backing track but that is limiting.  Performers like Hendrix and SRV sounded like the ideal where they used the instrument as more than just a melody line instrument.

NicolasA

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 06:06:16 PM »
I learned (classical) piano as a kid so I can read, but since I started guitar I prefer using tabs...after all, first music sheets for guitar back in the ... old times were  tabs, almost same as today!

Being able to read notes is IMHO a very strong help in learning your neck for a beginner, as it doesn't tell you which C you must play : you have to wander all along the fretboard to find the most appropriate position...anyway, the rythm notation is the same in both system, and you have to learn it!
Another thing that hits me every time I try some jazz standard : most of them are written in Bb or Eb, because of the prominence of saxophones, clarinets etc. and this is quite troublesome for a pianist, as his keyboard is 'asymetric' : transpositions are not easy things, and reading standard notation is a big help! of course, the problem is way easier to solve on guitar : if you need to play in Bb, just think A and move everything one fret up :P

HeadHunter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 09:59:10 AM »
been on both sides of the street
started as a child with notation, used it exclusively till About 20 when I started using tab because it as easier to find
I look for notation now, I just find it is easier to read and get the jist of what is going on. Sorry but I feel tab is great, but it just lacks something. I guess if I had never started with notation I would feel different. and I guess someone who started with tab would feel the opposite. guess it is a personal thing.