Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Empty Arms  (Read 6467 times)

secondtry

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Empty Arms
« on: July 08, 2012, 01:50:32 AM »
One of my favorites by Stevie Ray Vaughan.  Here is a video with both versions on it.  The slow version from the album 'Soul to Soul' is up first, followed by the more upbeat version from the album 'The Sky is Crying'.  I like the slow version more.  How about you guys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP_z4RhX7xI

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Empty Arms
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 03:24:45 AM »
Until now, I've never knew about nor heard a slow version. I'd have to say I prefer the upbeat version. I don't know if it's 'cause I heard it first, ('cause I've been known to change my mind) or I'm just used to it. I reckon it's just a preference.

VikingBlues

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »
I usually really like slower SRV numbers - the likes of "Life Without You" / "The Sky is Crying". So I was sort of expecting I'd prefer the slower version of this - but no .... like Zag I prefer the more upbeat version.

secondtry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 03:07:17 PM »
I'm pretty sure I heard the upbeat version first also, but when I heard the 'Soul to Soul' version, I really liked it.  To me, the upbeat version is the 'Blues Rock' style that we are used to hearing from Stevie, but the slower version seem more like actual 'Blues' (without the rock - LOL!).

FWIW, all of the covers and lessons I've seen on YouTube are of the upbeat version.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »
The slow blues I tend to like is stuff like, The Sky is Crying, Leave my Girl Alone, Red House, and one of my all time favs "If you're gonna walk on my Love (at least you can take off your shoes)"! That's Stevie Ray for the first two, Jimi for the third and Bobby "Blue" Bland for the last one. Don't get me wrong, I still dig the slow minor stuff too.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 11:30:36 AM »
Slow and SRV is hard to find... He plays everything, even the slow songs with some lightning fast licks...