Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Looking for a new solid body w/ tremelo.  (Read 35084 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Looking for a new solid body w/ tremelo.
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 10:47:09 PM »
Never heard that one before - "you cant set the Floyd rose down far enough to have a really low action with out the strings hitting the pick ups and being completely unplayable," . If I read that correctly, all that needed to be done is "lower the friggin' pickups!" ??? Anyway, I do in fact, know one dude that has one of those and while it's not has main axe, he's does NOT have a problem with it. He's an Epi LP fan as well, and I set the thing up for him. It's okay, but I don't use tremolos hardly, and settin' up Floyds are a pain, but I don't do alot of them, so I guess that's why.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:04:39 AM by zagatron1 »

IM4Tone

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 11:15:50 PM »
......If I read that correctly, all that needed to be done is "lower the friggin' pickups!".....
That's the exact same thing that came to my mind when I read it. I look for 'repeat' faults or dislikes. When there's only one comment on a topic, I usually figure the person making it was probably off base.

I never had to adjust a FR and only played one a couple of times. I do have a Bigsby and they are notorious for going out of tune and changing strings is a PITA too.

I've been reading  numerous posts on other forums about PRS Santana SE this evening and they are getting very high praise. It's too bad I live over 150 miles from the nearest GC  :(

IM4Tone

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 04:42:47 PM »
Today I spoke w/ the owner of a small local guitar and amp store. He's a Schecter dealer. I asked about the Solo Vintage and he told me it was on his order list for the next Schecter order. He'll place it Monday and notify me when it arrives for me to check out....no obligations. Hopefully it will arrive in a week or two.

Here's the one he's getting in: http://www.schecterguitars.com/products/guitar/solo-vintage.aspx

Now I'm on hold 'til it arrives.  :-\

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 05:44:11 PM »
Ah..... I see. Not your average Schecter (if there's such a thing), that's for sure.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 09:56:17 AM »
the last i looked at schecter's website, they had so many models, i got confused....

i like those three piece necks; most recent carvin i built has a 5 piece maple neck (ordered it that way). i like the seymour jb pups, too. have one in a pickguard i ordered sometime back.

i hope the schecter pans out for you, IM4.  i have the schecter pt, and i like it. it seems to be more stable than a number of guitars i have played or own.

another idea you might want to consider is a carvin kit. i just built another one...a bolt t with their newest single coil pickup. played it at practice last week, and i'm more pleased than i thought i would be...exceeded my expectations.  kit went together nice; all holes already drilled. finished the neck with tung oil and lemon oil, put a coat of clear or two on the black body, painted the headstock to match....easy to assemble, easy to set up (i have the tools from stew mac to do that).  if you option a kit up, they can get pricy...i like locker tuners and stainless frets-on my must have list-and the 5 piece neck glommed onto that list also. i think i have aobut $600 in the guitar. looks like a strat with no trem.

there is someplace a carvin forum with all kinds of ideas of how to finish a kit...those guys can paint better than i can....:)

IM4Tone

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 12:53:31 PM »
reb,

Your earlier post is the reason I even looked at the Schecters. You're right there are many models and I spent a long time looking through them to find the solo-vintage. It's features are very much what I'm looking for: LP shape, Bigsby, Humbucker and Filtron w/ coil splitting, 22 fret. Hope it plays and sounds as good as it looks and is on par w/ the features.

I have no interest whatsoever in building a kit. I have looked at some of the Carvin finished guitars and they look fine, but a little more pricey than I'd care to use in some bar gig.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 08:30:26 PM by IM4Tone »

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 08:47:46 PM »
i can understand not wanting to get involved in a kit, IM. i like to tinker with things...and kits, so far, have proven to be the better guitars i own.  if you order a ready made carvin, yeah, they go up fast in price. not like gibsons and fenders, though. i have always been a 'roll your own' kind of guy, though. some people are just not, and that's what makes the world go round. i build my own speaker cabs, too. if i had time, i'd try one of the amp kits.

bar gigs...if i were playing bar gigs, i'd use a squier affinity strat....somewhere, in premier guitar, one of the columnists advises getting a 'drunk mic', for those times when you can't run a drunk off the stage, and you can't shoot him. let him spit all over the drunk mic, and not a good one...

i surely hope you find a guitar that satisfies.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 11:24:30 AM »
Shecter make nice guitars, from my limited experience with them.

Hope you get a good one!

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 01:13:37 PM »
I've played one of those and the reason behind it is simple.... A Les Paul has a 3 degree angle neck pocket, which is why there is a raised bridge and tailpeice.  A floyd rose system was developed for stratocasters that have a zero degree neck pocket.  So he is right with having the floyd perfectly flat, it will touch the pickups/frets... But truthfully if the guitar is set up right, the strings will already be really close to the frets long before the bridge is flat to the body...

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2012, 02:10:39 PM »
Have you seen the Agile guitars? I have (2) AL-2000 guitars, both of which I like very much. I do not have the Floyd models, but the AL-2000 models are very nice for the price.

Here are a couple of AL-2000 Floyds...
http://www.rondomusic.com/cgi-rondomusic/sb/productsearch.cgi?search_field=AL+2000+floyd&storeid=*0e5ce43b1b6d411cec

IM4Tone

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 02:45:54 PM »
Have you seen the Agile guitars? I have (2) AL-2000 guitars, both of which I like very much. I do not have the Floyd models, but the AL-2000 models are very nice for the price.

Here are a couple of AL-2000 Floyds...
http://www.rondomusic.com/cgi-rondomusic/sb/productsearch.cgi?search_field=AL+2000+floyd&storeid=*0e5ce43b1b6d411cec
I'm totally unfamiliar w/ Agile Guitars. From your link, looks like they would be a candidate for further investigation if I don't like the Schecter.

BTW, the local Schecter dealer emailed me yesterday to advise that the Solo Vintage he ordered was in stock and has been shipped....so hopefully this week I can give it a try.

And meanwhile, some of my further research turned up this video, which is quite convincing: http://vimeo.com/17789011
Opinions?

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2012, 03:59:47 PM »
One word...... Nice! Question is, what kind do YOU think? After lookin' at that, I'd think it'd be worth a try. Me, I'm not much of a trem guy, otherwise I think you'll be cool with it. 

IM4Tone

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »
One word...... Nice! Question is, what kind do YOU think? After lookin' at that, I'd think it'd be worth a try. Me, I'm not much of a trem guy, otherwise I think you'll be cool with it.
Prior to hearing that demo I was very neutral, having only catalogue pictures and written descriptions to go by. Now, I'm fairly confident about the features, and sound. I really, really like what I heard on the video. It will be a matter of playability and 'up-close' quality of construction. The nice thing about tremelos is that if you don't care to use them, their presence doesn't hurt anything, EXCEPT that string changes are more difficult/time consuming. I'm already familiar with the best ways to use a tremelo to minimize it's tendency to go out of tune.....the Bigsbys all have that tendency.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2012, 05:38:53 PM »
I agree! The playability and the quality of construction should be considered. About trems, I never had tuning issues with 'em, I just don't incorporate 'em in my playing style. I only have one guitar (Strat) with a trem now and the bridge in on the deck, 5 strings strong.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012, 06:03:38 PM »
paul tfo allen is a 'hotrod'....i can't begin to play in his league...so, if i heard 'what i liked' in a guitar, even with a hotrod playing it...i'd put the guitar in the 'i'll consider it' box.

it really comes down to what you want, and how the guitar 'feels and sounds' to you, IM. in most cases, other people's opinions are like general motors products and prostitutes...nearly everyone has had at least one...

i will say this, though...every guitar i like has 'an amp it marries with'. some of them have more than one...and some, only one. with a few, i can't find a tone i like until much later with a different amp...and some amps have been that way for me. everyone's ears hear way different...don't like some big mouth tell you they don't like 'your guitar'....and you lose your confidence in it...somewhere in there, is a tone you might like. it's why a lot of places give a 45 day moneyback offer...takes a while sometimes.