Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: essential effect pedals  (Read 16933 times)

hagarfreak33

• Fat Fingers
  • Being stupid is its own reward
    • View Profile
essential effect pedals
« on: November 25, 2010, 06:27:03 PM »
ok i posted this in the wrong forum before :o
What would you reccomend as must have pedals? just a basic setup-i use gearbox for everything right now i want to get some pedals and a new amp to play off the pc once in a while ;)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: essential effect pedals
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 09:01:28 PM »
I believe what's "essential" is up to the individual. At least to start with. After that, I guess it's the type of music one plays. Then it's the experimental factor, and after that...... who knows?

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 03:33:35 PM »
was is essential depends on what you are playing, style wise.  What, or better yet, who are you trying to sound like?

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 09:24:48 PM »
i agree that it's a very subjective question. however, imo, there are a few pedals which are significant enough  to be considered right from the start.
skipping distortion/overdrives,  some sort of a reverb or delay, and a chorus.

Offshore Angler

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 06:11:44 PM »
I'd say a compressor (the must have), an overdrive, and a delay.  Then a phasor. Mix the phasor and delay and you get chorus, so you really don't need a chorus. And of course, your tuner.

Of course, a good amp trumps all pedals. It all starts with the amp.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 11:55:31 AM »
I'd say a compressor (the must have), an overdrive, and a delay.  Then a phasor. Mix the phasor and delay and you get chorus, so you really don't need a chorus. And of course, your tuner.

Of course, a good amp trumps all pedals. It all starts with the amp.

What tone are you going for with all that?

Offshore Angler

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 05:26:57 AM »
All of them. During a live show I'll be called on to do anything from country to Van Halen. My stage rig is, of course, much more complicated with three loops and wet/dry blending, but to play a small job at a club, those pedals will cover about anything you'll need. The rest is knowing how to use the volume and tone knobs on the guitar. Saturate the power section of the amp with the guitar volume at around 7, then use the volume to clean up or dirty the sound. Tone for more woof and fuzz.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 11:23:41 AM »
That makes much more sense to me.  Most of my songs are genre specific, so there's only so much wiggle room I need for tone.  I agree 100% with the use of volume control.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 10:07:46 AM »
For me, it's a gain pedal and a delay. I like delay because it works well live, and it makes your playing sound (and feel) more fluid and smooth.

I gain pedal is a must usually, to get some more meat in your tone when needed.

I don't use chorus of flangers much, but I like the Hendrixy pedals like Vibe and Wah.

A wah pedal is one of the most expressive and fun sound to have around.

The smartest thing is to get a Line M9, since it has over a hundred great effects in it. You get an insane value and a large array of sounds if you buy the M9.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 12:53:40 PM »
I have to admit, Line 6 has the closest tone to the real thing than any other multi effect unit out there.  I have the Pocket Pod and love the tones I get with it.  Great tool for quietly practicing with jam tracks or over the computer.

hillbilly joe old

• my lyrics, the guitar and my imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 11:13:03 PM »
wah
distortion pedal
delay
reverb

pictoratus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 08:02:02 PM »
I have to admit, Line 6 has the closest tone to the real thing than any other multi effect unit out there.  I have the Pocket Pod and love the tones I get with it.  Great tool for quietly practicing with jam tracks or over the computer.

I haven't used one but have heard they do a better job than most of sounding close to the real thing.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 08:12:11 AM »
I've used Boss and Digitech Multi effect pedals.  Line 6 has the best tone.  Interesting thing with digital effects, when it comes to gain/distortion, lowering the volume does not "clean" up the guitar on many DSP multi effect units.  Amazingly, the Pocket Pod does.  I'm even considering using the tiny pedal in my effects loop until I get the pedals I need/want.

IM4Tone

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 01:03:50 AM »
Essential two: Tubescreamer (TS-9) and a Rvb/Delay (Boss DD3 or Behringer DR400)

Dan

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 11:38:41 AM »
For me it's a wah, vibe, ocd and even a fuzzface considering the styles I like. My amp has a great reverb already. I've played through a lot of different pedals now and some are really great and others aren't. I really want to try some of the cheap Danelectro pedals now just to see if they're worth it.