Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Fulltone Full-Drive 2... Opinions?  (Read 16702 times)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Fulltone Full-Drive 2... Opinions?
« on: August 21, 2012, 07:49:15 PM »
Has anyone tried one of these? Guitar World listed it as one of the top pedals for blues guitar. With its abilities to add just a little hair to a lot of dirt and a foot switchable boost for solos, it seems like an all in one pedal for me. For those who have or had this what did you like or not like about it?

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Fulltone Full-Drive 2... Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:35:44 PM »
DB, I gotta be honest. I went so far as to try a Full-Drive 2 out once. I wanted to hear it "in the flesh" so to speak. Didn't do it for me. Has an "average" like tone IMHO. You want something from Fulltone..... get yourself a PlimSoul! I love mine. It really has amp like characteristics. You can get that bluesy, compressed thing goin'..... like kind of a tube sag. Turn up the second stage knob and you get firmer, crunchier, output tube style distortion.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 10:50:18 PM »
I did the same thing with the Plimsoul....wanted it to be the "it" pedal....but it led me thinking my Bad Monkey was enough...

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 11:21:58 PM »
I did the same thing with the Plimsoul....wanted it to be the "it" pedal....but it led me thinking my Bad Monkey was enough...

Sounds like you've been through the ringer (with OD pedals) like me DB. I was tempted, but still haven't tried a Bad Monkey yet. Probably 'cause I'm burned out on 'em. I currently use a Boss DN-2 Dyna Drive that I leave on all the time and use my guitar's volume knob. I still have a Timmy pedal, PlimSoul, Zendrive and an original '74 MXR Distortion Plus. I've been through two Boss FBM-1 pedals, Boss SD-1, an OCD, Suhr Shiba Drive, Catalinbread Formula #5, Lovepedal Amp 11, MI Audio Blues Pro and others I probably forgot to mention because it's been so long. I find that quite a few overdrive/distortion pedals tend to cut bass responses and this has been going on for quite some time. I like that "fat" sound. When it's your time to shine, you want a full sounding solo. Under some playing situations (live), I don't use any pedals at all for blues tone. My '67 Fender Super Reverb (ol' reliable) does the trick every time. I was just tryin' to get the same reaction and tone at lower volumes. PlimSoul does it. But, believe it or not, the Boss DN-2 does it well too, plus it's warmer sound really works for me. It's only drawback is it's not true by-pass. Funny tho'..... 15-20 years ago, I would've said "true what?!"
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:30:01 AM by zagatron1 »

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 07:50:19 AM »
Bad Monkey wasn't a bad choice, since you can find them used for about $25.  Gibson.com listed the pedal as one of the best pedals under $50.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 10:56:08 AM »
i was re-reading the review of the Fractal FXII yesterday. if i or anyone else on here sold all their gear, i bet we could afford the FXII. premier guitar claims that 'there are few tone stones left unturned' by the FX.  they also say it has amp like characteristics.  'animals as leaders' suposedly uses Fractals live, going through stage monitors...which would be about as good an option as any amp over 50#.

i tried a fulltone 2 some years ago, and sent it back, DB.  for some reason, the od on it had a good bit of noise, i recall.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 01:12:52 PM »
Man! That Fractal FXII thing has got the Kemper "Profiling Amplifier" beat hands down!

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 03:15:49 PM »
I know a few people that have the Fractal Audio FXII.  They claim its sounds no different then plugging into the real deals at saturation volumes... I just think they are way over priced.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 04:13:31 PM »
I know a few people that have the Fractal Audio FXII.  They claim its sounds no different then plugging into the real deals at saturation volumes... I just think they are way over priced.

Ya got that right! The folks that designed that and other gear like it know exactly what they're doin' market wise. They drop the lure in the water, waitin' for the gear head fish to bite.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 10:50:03 PM »
The gear heads with deep pockets.   I know several that have all the toys and makes you sick with envy. But for the most part, I know I can play a lot more stuff then they can because there too busy trying to obtain the right sound, instead of learning how to play.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 11:25:43 PM »
The gear heads with deep pockets.   I know several that have all the toys and makes you sick with envy. But for the most part, I know I can play a lot more stuff then they can because there too busy trying to obtain the right sound, instead of learning how to play.

Well put DB!

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 08:14:53 AM »
 Please don't think I'm trying to be arrogant in anyway.  I just concentrate on playing, not searching for the holy grail in guitars, amps, or pedals...

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 12:54:13 PM »
Please don't think I'm trying to be arrogant in anyway.  I just concentrate on playing, not searching for the holy grail in guitars, amps, or pedals...

I think that's the way to be. You got the playing down, ever' thin' else falls into place. More importantly, you do you an' have fun.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 01:37:37 PM »
Exactly!  Having fun is the center focus of this... If it wasn't for the fun, I wouldn't be doing it...

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 05:14:04 PM »
i go through that same thought process from time to time; i ask myself 'am i having fun at this' whatever it is...if it isn't fun, and i don't 'have' to do it..i quit.

i had more fun out of figuring out the cheap effects to pa speaker thing than the playing itself....anytime there is an easy/less expensive solution to things, i have been known to jump up and dance a jig. scares heck out of the hangers on...:)