Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Compressors  (Read 6781 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Compressors
« on: August 29, 2012, 02:40:13 PM »
Had a customer ask me a question about compressors. I don't use 'em at all, so I'm gonna put it out here. He asked me about MXR and they have at least four different models to choose from and which is the best (his words). The Dyna Comp, Super Comp, plus their "Custom Shop" models, a '76 Vintage Dyna Comp and Custom Comp. Anyone have any experiences with any of these? Personally, I tried a Dyna comp out back in the '70s when they first came out, but couldn't find any use for it. I didn't fully understand effects back then myself, except for the original MXR Distortion + pedal and Vox wah wah (both well over 30 years old) I still have.

Memory Lane Jr

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Re: Compressors
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 05:04:32 PM »
I brought a cheapy Moen unicomp compressor & really like it cascading into my overdrive pedals, fattens up & adds sustain to my Strats I just use it like a boost pedal.
It is rather large though but for $40 I'm not complaining.
http://marshallvintagemodern.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4394

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:49:21 PM »
No idea, but the Dyna Comp has a famous name? :) That's all I know. Compressors suck anyway! Haha

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 04:50:25 PM »
i have this book, zag. koryat explains compressors in more detail than anyone i ever read....i have a little boss that i use when i record bass. the idea is on bass guitar that the compressor 'set right' makes up for poor technique. bass is way more sensitive to attack and finger pressure, so that the db levels rise and fall if you can't play consistently.

your customer may want to dig around on the net and read some compressor stuff. there is more 'there' than meets the eye at first glance. like a number of other pedals, the controls make a difference in 'existing' and how they are set.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 01:15:54 AM »
Like him, I was just wonderin' myself. Kinda reminds me of that "Sonic Stomp" pedal from BBE. My hearin' ain't all that good, and I don't hear ANY difference in those demos. That pedal is supposed to be "all that" and a bag of chips. Oh well!

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 07:01:14 PM »
and i had the same experience with the bbe. maybe i am not an 'educated listener'. my ex wife says so :) (she doesn't now, i suppose-she's complaining about someone else...but i still don't listen to idiots unless they have a gun).

if you imagine a wave form...anyone you care to draw...and all the troughs and peaks, you draw a liine through 'somewhere lower/higher than the t/p's'....that straight line is what a compressor does...it 'cuts the amplitude'; in fact, it also causes at some point an overload, and the square waves at that point bring on sustain...don't ask me how that works. maybe all the sound information is compressed into a popcorn can and explodes when released.

a sophisticated compressor has adjustments for both attack and release...iow, where it begins to cut, and where it releases on the waveform.

if you have someone close there who has a pedal compressor, play with it...and slowly rotate the knob for attack up maybe 10 degrees, play again, repeat. at some point you will hear 'something different' start.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 10:49:55 PM »
I just told th' dude to try a few 'cause I've been there and done that. I tried one many years ago, so I know for myself what they're about. That's why I don't have one. Hehe!