Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Trem claw alternative  (Read 6594 times)

creekster52

• View Profile
Trem claw alternative
« on: September 16, 2012, 04:00:50 PM »
There used to be an alternative replacement for the traditional trem claw. I think it was in the Stew-Mac catalog, but I cannot find it in their current catalog.

It was a plate to be mounted flat inside the trem cavity, and the springs attached to the plate. It appeared to be much more stable that the traditional setup. I think it was listed on or near the page where the Trem-setter was listed in the older catalogs.

Does anyone remember those?

creekster52

• View Profile
Re: Trem claw alternative
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 04:40:09 PM »
I did a little more searching and found it. It was the Schaller 377 Sure Claw. It must be discontinued now since I cannot find it listed anywhere other that allparts.com @ $45.00.

http://www.allparts.com/Schaller-Sure-Claw-Spring-Adjuster-p/BP-0108-000.htm

If anyone has a source other than Allparts, please let me know.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:44:40 PM by creekster52 »

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 09:57:01 PM »
Tremsetter?

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 08:06:12 PM »
No DB...This is just an alternative to the claw/screws configuration. It adjusts with an allen wrench through a hole in the trem cover, so spring adjustments can be made without removing the cover. It even comes with a spike you place in the allen screw to mark the cover for drilling.

I never have liked the claw situation, and always felt that, other than a proper nut, this was the main weakness of strat style guitars regardless of price.

It's not so much that I use the trem that much. I just happen to have an inexpensive guitar that has a very cheesy claw/screw situation. The claw is very cheaply made and they did not drill the screwholes deep enough to adjust the tension correctly. This was on a Douglas WRL 590 Floyd from Rondo. It's a nicely made guitar other than this issue. 

I have tried the Trem-setter in the past, but the results were less than impressive. There was a slight improvement in tuning stability, but not much.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 10:28:23 PM »
I don't even have a cover... Once I adjust it, I never use it again...