Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Palmer Overdrive  (Read 8628 times)

VikingBlues

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Palmer Overdrive
« on: September 30, 2012, 06:22:34 AM »
The Palmer Overdrive - a pedal that mixes clean and overdriven signal, rather than just having the one signal with its varying degree of overdrive.

I recommend it hugely for anyone who likes playing in that area between clean and lower levels of overdrive.

I plugged it into the amp and had a wee noodle the evening that it had arrived - half an hour later I was still noodling away and enjoying the sounds - I don't usually play the guitar just on it's own, but the sounds were really good. I've found I continue to do this and I've also found it kicking off creative ideas.

It is a very subtle pedal that enhances the amps sound rather than making any big adjustments. I don't find that it's a pedal that suitable to be used on it's own into the DAW - it needs to run through an amp. I've tried a bluesy sort of demo recording - using the PRS SE. Microphone recording (Shure PG58) from the Fender G-Dec 3 30 Clean Tweed with a bit of reverb.

Box.net link Demo : https://www.box.com/s/6lfffni9tt5riqgl6aob

The demo starts with just the guitar on it's own:-
0:00-0:14 - clean tone - pedal being by passed
then the following with Gain knob at 2 o'clock (further to the right more gain)
0:14-0:35 - Clean at 3 o'clock (5 o'clock is just the clean signal, 7 o'clock just the overdriven signal)
0:35-1:07 - Clean at 12 o'clock
1:07-1:54 - Clean at 9 o'clock
1:54-2:37 - Clean at 7 o'clock (max use of gain signal and no clean signal)
In the later higher gain parts I've tried to play bits where there's more hard and soft picking to gibe an idea how it responds to dynamics. :whistle:

Then there's full 6 string chords with clean at 5, 3, 12, 9 and 7o'clock. (Quite horrible at times!).

Finally after that 3:20 - 6:43 there's a short improv on a blues in G Backing Track (David Wallimann - GuitarPlayback.com)) - the gain knob varies between 2 and 11 o'clock in this and the clean knob varies between 3 and 7 o'clock (as the mood took me). The BT and the guitar part are both being mic'd from the G-Decs speaker so it's a mono recording.

I have also found great advantage to the Palmer Overdrive being plugged into my Fender VibroChamp XD on a clean voicing - it brings extra life and resonance to the already good sound - adding some depth and richness to the sound even with no use of the drive knob. It's also built like a tank!

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Palmer Overdrive
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 10:48:34 AM »
First off, I'd like to say thanks for sharing that. Enjoyed it. You are spot on! Second, where you been? Don't be no stranger! ;D You too good for us? ::) Oh yeah, those Vibro Champ XD amps are great! Well.. I love 'em anyway! Works for me.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:50:39 AM by zagatron1 »

VikingBlues

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 12:16:45 PM »
Second, where you been? Don't be no stranger! ;D You too good for us? ::)
Cheers Zag.   :)

I'm afraid this year has not been good, and although I see I made an attempt to come back and start posting again here in July it didn't last. Early in the year I hit some major problems regarding elder members of my family - this has meant a lot of time being spent on real life for a change (unfortunately). Stressed me out big time.  :'( Combine this with a lot of new initiatives at work and my spare time, once actually playing guitar is accounted for, was decimated. So instead of regularly zipping round at least 4 guitar forums I've been down to one (a blues forum - my homebase if you like where nearly everything posted is relevant to my interests) though I've struggled to keep up my normal presence even there. It appeared the family crisis time is at least on hold, so things had settled down a bit a couple of months ago. Then I immediately had a virus which turned chest infection at the turn of August / September (off work 2 1/2 weeks) and last week I fell to a nasty attack of Gastritus that I'm still trying to recover from. I'm REALLY hoping to return to a more normal spare time - which I hope will include more visits here - I have missed y'all.  :(

Oh - if I'd ever thoght I was too good for you here (which I haven't) the first post I looked at today was DBs "New amp and new guitar ...." thread and the 6 songs linked in that remind me what a long way I've got to go to be good enough for you all here.

First off, I'd like to say thanks for sharing that. Enjoyed it. You are spot on! Oh yeah, those Vibro Champ XD amps are great! Well.. I love 'em anyway! Works for me.
I've gone all Fender this year amp wise : VibroChamp XD and G-Dec 3 30 replacing Vox AD15VT and Vox AC4TV. My liking for type of guitar sound has moved a lot to Fender'y sounds this last year so I'm happy as a pig in ... ermmm ... clover!  8)

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 04:04:49 PM »
Hey, VB, sorry to hear about the struggles.

Thanks for the participation whenever it works out! No pressure, we just enjoy each other here. Hey, we're like a big extended family! :)

VikingBlues

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 01:10:20 AM »
Thanks Robert - appreciiated!  :)

Oh... and I forgot to mention one other quite remarkable thing witn the Palmer Overdrive ... 44 (appx 55 euros / $71) ... now that's value!  8)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 04:16:05 PM »
That is a good price and it sounded great!