Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: another of robert's older backing tracks  (Read 6300 times)

reb

• View Profile
another of robert's older backing tracks
« on: October 02, 2012, 04:37:18 PM »
finally could not resist.  it was laying there, and i picked it up...and dropped it...and picked it up.

https://www.box.com/s/vjg76a2zeyk1rxv529jx

i don't think anybody from ABB is going tocome whip my a$$-i can't sing, i don't know the words....and i aint truks or none a them guys, either.

and then, while i was messing with levels, i got another decent take..

https://www.box.com/s/vjg76a2zeyk1rxv529jx
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:56:30 PM by reb »

NicolasA

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Re: another of robert's older backing tracks
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 01:21:20 AM »
Nicely swinging and nicely toned! It sounds like some good JJ Cale, I really enjoyed!  :D
You would deserve to be a bit less buried in the mix, though  ;)
Thanks for sharing!

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 04:54:55 PM »
Thanks, Nicolas!

i'm using a zoom h1 with external mics...the mix is dang tough to get balanced. other times, i have used the internal mics, and i am too loud. tough row to hoe.

VikingBlues

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 11:01:39 PM »
I'll agree with Nicolas. It is played with nice swing - and what you play is well integrated with the backing track. Very musical as a result.   :)

Getting the mix just right is always a headache on these multitrack recordings - though it's very much a personal preference. It sounds pretty good to me, but then I've been criticised in the past for not making my guitar improv parts prominent enough in the mix.

I like the tones of the guitar part - good match for the rest of "the band". Interested to know what external mic(s) you used.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »
Nice work! Loves me some swing!  ;D

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 03:17:58 PM »
VB, nice you should ask the mic question...i have a shure sm57 that i mic the amp with and an akg perception 100 i use on the stereo.  i have been more than a little dissatisfied with the shure; i got in a ev nd767a today. gonna do some comparison miking and tracking with it if i don't get off on some other task.

the way i have this set up is....the mics into a behringer small board (i think it has 4 inputs, two xlr, two unbalanced); output is to a zoom h1 recorder.  for whatever reason, i have not been able to make myself go record into the daw....i like doing my thing in the living room.

i have been messing with a pad drum machine, trying to learn 'drums' so to speak...maybe i'll get a drum track down when i can figure out where the right pads are....

thank y'all for the supportive comments!