Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: a tale of two mikeys  (Read 6113 times)

reb

• View Profile
a tale of two mikeys
« on: October 11, 2012, 11:57:07 AM »
electro voice 767a: (right out of the box)

https://www.box.com/s/rz7kuqn0z7k38udjq0ix

shure sm57 (about 5 years old, but handled carefully)

https://www.box.com/s/eyh0mj2chgk4n36gsmsw

the mixer settings, volume on the amp, volume n the guitar were left the same...i played the routines as near the same as my fingers would remember. 

my impressions are that the ev is a little more sensitive, and a tad more detailed. remember, if you will, that my 3khz to 4khz hearing is going, so if one or more of you can detect a big difference (the guitar lives in that 2-5 khz range), please do say so.

i think the sm 57 lost its spot to the ev. the ev has a good internet reputation, and i can hear a little of 'why'.

the settings on the guitar were neck humbucker, then coil tap, middle position. i like that middle position quack on singles. carvin sh60 guitar. lotta sparkle in there-had the tone control on the guitar about midway, volume about 70%.

amp was set at half volume and 'halfway' tone.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 12:04:22 PM by reb »

VikingBlues

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Re: a tale of two mikeys
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 12:23:04 PM »
Interesting tale you're telling with the demos reb.  ;D

It's difficult to be sure - with the mp3 losing some audio qualities and with my computer / headphones / speakers probably doing likewise. But the ev does sound a bit fuller to me - with more presence.

Of interest to me as I'm currently not even aspiring as high as Shure sm57 - it's a pg57 I use (great for its price though).

Of course - rather like a good amp, a good mic is very capable of beautifully highlighting flaws in my playing technique.  ::)

BTW - impressed with just how much your fingers remembered of the routine.

NicolasA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 04:14:30 PM »
Funny...
Very few notes,
Low tempo,
Not-so-simple patterns...

I found these tracks way longer and more interesting than the 1 minute they last : great job!

About the quality of the takes, I'd say that to my unexperienced ears, they sound quite the same,  the Shure giving a more energetic sound (more saturate?) while the EV displays more heat, clarity and presence...
Whoa, complicated words for simple things : the Shure sounds more Rock n' roll, the EV more musical - at least, that's the way I feel them through your recordings : never had a chance to compare in real world...

Don't know if this helps a lot... :P

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
The SM57 does it best IMHO! Good examples BTW.

VikingBlues

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 05:51:24 PM »
Another thing with microphone recordings is ... just a small change in distance from speaker, position relative to speaker cone, angle of microphone can all make such huge differences to sound qualities.

I would guess that different microphones will have different positions in which they will perform at their best, depending on their individual strengths and weaknesses.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 07:24:26 PM »
thank you guys so much!  since reading the comments, it's obvious to me my ears lose some of the 57s highs or something. this is what make srecording so difficult...ears are the last link to the brain.

VB, if i were to do these as .wav files, i'm not sure what would be the result. interesting to think about. ed wallace said on his radio program there is an 'app' that 'restores' the missing parts of mp3s. i forget what it's called, and i don't 'iphone'-it's an iphone app, or maybe 'smart phone'.  he says the app will show on the screen like a juke box-something in the name to do with 'spinning'. supposedly, the restoration sounds better than the mp3 original. i bet i couldn't tell.

somewhere in this massive rss feed is the premier guitar article on 'shavering' for mic placement. i can't find it at the moment; i have fishsticks in the oven...:) sometime i will try it and report.

https://www.premierguitar.com/rss/Articles.aspx?Category=Gigging_AND_Recording

thanks, Nicolas.  hearing someone else test mics 'bare' like this sometimes gives a person lots of 'ideas'. it's the problem i have with youtube...too many 'pedals'.  i would agree the ev sounded more musical to me. the shure has a rep for standing up to high db, and so, it's a common mic on lots of rock recordings. since almost no one ver tells us how they recorded a track, we have no idea...lots of times i see 'neumann' referenced...the cheapest new one i saw in a recent catalog was something like $1700. i wish someone would test one 'bare' with a 57 or a ev. i'd like to hear how the $100 mic stands up to the expensive one.

again, i really appreciate the comments. this may help me when i get further a long to select a mic for some parts.