Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Cables  (Read 6968 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Cables
« on: November 26, 2010, 10:23:22 AM »
I know it's probably been awhile now, but I've noticed folks using 90 degree cables (again). From my vantage point, they came, went and are now back. I don't have any at all. I guess I'm still stuck on straight. A bunch of these cables are made quite well these days compared to 20 to 30 years ago, when they where like paper towels. Use 'em, then throw it away, 'cause it had "molded" ends, and nobody had the patience to fix it. Who could blame 'em. I'm referring to the curly cables with the molded ends, we used to love to hate (when they went bad.... buzzzz)!

pictoratus

• View Profile
Re: Cables
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 12:24:24 PM »
I remember using one of the curly ones about 25-30 years ago at a show we did at a small bar in a little out of the way place; I was playing bass back then.

The guitar player had just gotten a multicolored light array to use at our gigs and we tried it out for the first time that night. Well that curly cable acted like an antenna. You never heard so much buzzing coming out of my amp! Luckily the rhythm guitar player had a spare cable that was long enough to use and we got through the show OK.

Needless to say I threw the curly cable in the trash bin on the way out that night.  ;D

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 09:10:31 AM »
90's work well with Les Paul or maybe SG's but with my strat, the 90 isn't necessary.  Its just a plug, so much as people aren't going back to those old slinky type cords.

Dan

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 11:41:35 AM »
I hate to even admit it, but after trying a ton of different cables I just buy them from walmart now. Cheap and last as long as any of  the others I've tried.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 11:33:34 AM »
A friend of mine makes his own custom cables.  They have a lifetime warrenty and the have zero noise.  What's really cool about them is when you unplug from the guitar, there is no noise.  No pop, hiss, or any other noise.  Its dead quiet.  I wish I could remember the brand though...

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 04:11:21 PM »
I like Monster cables with lifetime guarantee. There were some bargain ones I tried that seemed to break near the ends. I've tried some others but Monster seems to be the longest lasting ones.  I try to guy them on sale and don't pay that much more for them.  What other brands do you folks find last a long time and don't break?

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 10:03:02 PM »
I discovered a brand made here locally.  Lifetime warranty and they are silent tips which means you can unplug your guitar and the sound cuts off to the amp.  Really cool, well priced too. 

Check it out here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBXRPQTnXwk

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 01:30:03 PM »
I bought a 20' cable from him and it was $100 less than a comparable Mogami cable.  I couldn't believe how much the tone improved using the cable too.  Never new a cable would do that.