Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Pickup Upgrade Options  (Read 19020 times)

VikingBlues

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Re: Pickup Upgrade Options
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 03:36:36 AM »
Thanks reb, DB.  :)

I'm really enjoying playing the "Strat" again now it's got these new pickups. They very nearly get it to the same quality level as the Hagstrom Viking Deluxe which has SH55s installed. That is a surprise because there is a pretty big price differential.

The icing on the cake is that, like the SH55s did with the Hagstrom, the new pickups have made the guitar much more playable - that responsiveness gives so much more dynamic range and it's possible to bring more subtle touches into the playing - and the less hard I have to pluck the strings the more I can relax and that helps the music flow.

I ended up usng Seymour Duncan APS-2 alnico 2 single coils on my project strat.  Those sound great too, just wish they were flat pole instead of staggered...
That was what I liked about dealing with a guy that would make the pickups to my specification. Though I'll admit the downside was there were a lot of options to try to make my mind up about. The flat poles do give a better sound balance for me that my old pickups which were staggered. The difiiculty with using a one man band builder is knowing if tehy might be any good ... I did get him recommended by an on-line guitar player whose opinion I trust but it was still nail biting time when it came to trying them for the first time.
Haven't tried Seymour Duncan APS-2 pickups but if they're anything like the SH55s which are also Alnico 2 I can understand how they would sound great.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 11:19:32 AM »
Nice!

I can heartily recommend Porter Pickups too - www.porterpickups.com. They sound fantastic.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 03:01:23 PM »
Sounds great!!