Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar  (Read 5939 times)

creekster52

• View Profile
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
« on: November 04, 2012, 03:51:54 PM »
I recently purchased a new Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar. I have wanted a Jaguar since I was a teen. Mine is the one closest to the original model of the current Squier Vintage Modified offerings. I got the Olympic White with tortoise pickguard...classic!!

The fit & finish were incredibly good. Fender ships these guitars with 9 gauge strings, totally inappropriate for this guitar. I changed to 11 gauge flatwounds. Jags are notorious for rattling at the bridge, and 9s just make it so much worse. BTW...This is the only guitar I currently have setup with flats.

I had the cheesy plastic nut replaced with a Tusq nut, and replaced the saddles with the Graph Tech Mustang/Jaguar/Jazzmaster saddles ($26.95 @ Musicians Friend), virtually eliminating any saddle buzz. This was considerably more cost effective than the Warmoth Modified Mustang bridge ($47.50) or the Mastery bridge ($160). The saddles are slightly narrower than the stock saddles, but not a problem with me since I am not a  particularly aggressive player.

I will be adding a shim to raise the neck slightly, in order to lower the action a little more and increase the break angle of the strings over the bridge.

Now for the good stuff...The sounds!!

I love the sound of this guitar even with flatwound strings. It is very versatile and provides numerous switching options. It will nail vintage surf tones and loves tons of drippy reverb with tremolo. It has wonderful clean tones from the Duncan Designed pickups, and easily goes from bright and bell-like to warm and mellow thanks to the versatile switching options, which allow a different volume/tone for lead & rhythm.

At $299 it is a steal, and I seriously doubt that I will ever justify paying 6-10 times more for a Fender American Vintage Re-issue model.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 09:44:05 PM »
I have to give Squier a lot of credit. Their vintage modified guitars are just exceptional! I really want their Tele Deluxe...The Lipstick Strat is the inspiration for my current strat project.

VikingBlues

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Re: Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 02:30:33 AM »
Congrats on getting the Jaguar.  :)

Sounds like it's a big hit with you - great to get a guitar that ticks so many boxes for you at that price too. Smart upgrades.

9s on a 24" scale sounds a tad crazy! They must have been flopping about like old stretched elastic bands and I suspect they must have an impact on teh sound too. I think it could put me off buying one if I didn't suss out they were 9s. 9s on the 25" PRS SE range are awful enough - on those there's a transformation of sound with just a change to 10s.