Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Strat Mod's  (Read 11926 times)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Strat Mod's
« on: November 27, 2010, 09:32:25 AM »
There's a couple of modifications I'm thinking of trying out on my strat.

1st mod is adding a .001uf cap on the volume control for a treble bleed.
2nd mod is switching the 2nd tone control from the middle pickup to the bridge.

Has anyone tried these mods and if so was it worth it?

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Strat Mod's
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 10:37:53 AM »
In one of my Strats ('98 MIM Squier) for my volume mod, I have a 220k resistor with a 471pf capacitor wired in parallel. It works! On this particular guitar, I use the middle tone pot as a master tone control and use a blender pot in the last spot. This set up allows me to have in addition of the regular 5 combinations (you know what they are), I can run the neck/bridge or all three pickups, for a total of 7 pickup combinations. I'm pleased with it.

weelie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 12:03:14 PM »
No.

Mine is: master tone and the other tone turns the neck pickup on, so on ten at bridge position it's like middle position on a modern tele.

On a side note, I love the idea of switching the bridge and middle pickups (without any resoldering, I mean) ... but never done it, just read about it on the net. Maybe the only mod a good strat would need... maybe. could be the bridge pickup is then too low output. 

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 03:15:03 PM »
No.

Mine is: master tone and the other tone turns the neck pickup on, so on ten at bridge position it's like middle position on a modern tele.

On a side note, I love the idea of switching the bridge and middle pickups (without any resoldering, I mean) ... but never done it, just read about it on the net. Maybe the only mod a good strat would need... maybe. could be the bridge pickup is then too low output.

I understand what you got, but what's the "No." for?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 03:16:40 PM by zagatron1 »

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 06:00:12 PM »
I'm not switching the pickups, I'm switching the tone leads from the middle to the bridge.  I could almost get rid of the middle pickup because I seldom use it. 

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 01:55:31 AM »
Okay, here we go, with the pickguard underside up facing you, unsolder the middle tone positive lead and move it over ONE position to the empty one (note the empty terminal in the diagram). This works with the standard Fender five way switch. If this applies to your situation, This'll do the trick.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=3s_1v_2t_5w

weelie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 01:38:16 PM »
No.

I understand what you got, but what's the "No." for?

Sorry, I meant I have not tried what was asked for. Meant no offense with it. I was writing very quickly, as I had a baby on my lap!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 01:59:40 PM by weelie »

Bluefingers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 03:11:12 PM »
DetroitBlues, my Strat is wired like yours
I like the treeble bleed, no loss treble when turning down the volume pot
I prefer, also, dark the bridge pu than the neck pu
I'd like a tone pot for each pu
 Zagatron's mod please me too but I never tried it
Neck + bridge How does that sound?
dark + bright sound Interesting...

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 04:25:49 PM »
On my next string change, I'll be modding my strat (just the swap of the tone controls).  If I like it, I'll keep it that way.  After that, I may try the treble bleed, but I want a proper cap for it first.  Bumble Bee perhaps?

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
I have done the mods before, and liked the result.

Thought I'd pass this link along for those interested in wiring diagrams...http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

Tone pot mod:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=tone_f_bp

Treble bleed mod:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=treble_bleed

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 04:52:31 PM »
I'll try the tone pot mod first then try the bleed mod later.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 05:42:43 PM »
I did the treble bleed with Fender SCN pickups I had loaded into an ash body Peavey Axcelerator AX. They were somewhat muddy, and of course got worse when the volume was rolled off. After I added the treble bleed, the overall tone improved and did not get muddy at all when rolled back. Granted the SCNs don't get the full single coil clarity, but in this case the treble bleed was a significant improvement.

My point for posting this is that some Strat players like the rolled-back sound, especially switching from lead to rythm, it's all a matter of taste/convenience. The good news is that if you don't like it, you can always remove it at the next string change...NBD.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 08:18:35 PM »
I'll wait for the parts for the treble bleed.  Some people say to use a .001uf cap, others say to use a .002uf cap and 100k resistor