Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Gibson SG Classic P90 - Latest addition to my family  (Read 29275 times)

Memory Lane Jr

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson SG Classic P90 - Latest addition to my family
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 05:24:51 PM »
Heres a pic of the control cavity on my SG 2011 control cavity, no PCB!

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 09:03:46 PM »
I was surprized to see that in the 2011 Gibby Les Paul Studio I had. (The pcb I mean.) Plus I was somewhat disappointed with chambered body as well. My Epi Les Paul Studio feels better to the touch. Oh well.

VikingBlues

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 03:16:40 AM »
I was surprized to see that in the 2011 Gibby Les Paul Studio I had. (The pcb I mean.) Plus I was somewhat disappointed with chambered body as well. My Epi Les Paul Studio feels better to the touch. Oh well.
Surprised and dissapointed are two good words in this situation. Not what I was expecting with a manufacturer that's supposed to be at the higher quality end of the market.   :(

Funny how chambered bodies became a great benefit to tone only when the supplies of good mahogany wood that was light enough to make a body that size became scarce. I'm feeling that most of "improvements" to design are simply cost control and cost cutting excercises.  ::)

I also feel sort of short changed, though that my be unjustifiably. Difficult to know how much my feelings of either (1) wanting to rip out the PCB and replace it with the traditional wiring you'd expect on a "quality" guitar, or (2) just wanting rid of the whole guitar, are just logical solutions to the problem or are just a reaction in anger.

I'm waiting (with little anticipation of reply) to a query with Gibson of whether ripping out the PCB invalidates the warranty or whether they can give me instructions on how the PCB can have it's attached controls upgraded and what precise connectors I need for pickups. If the removal of the PCB does invalidate the warranty then the guitar definitely goes and it will be the last new Gibson I buy and I write it off to experience and try not to be fooled again.  :-[

Seems like whenever I buy a guitar now I'm going to have to get the control cover taken off firsst to see what's under there.

Vladan

• http://vladanmovies.blogspot.com
  • High on own Supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 07:40:15 AM »
If all values of components remain the same, swapping PCB for hand wiring won't change a thing, soundwise. Except, may be, as you already predicted, in your head.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 01:33:32 PM »
Depending  on your generation, most of the issues today weren't a big deal. We just got out there and played. We dealt with whatever we had and made the most of it.. We enjoyed ourselves. Sure, my shoulder was sore after a show with a Les Paul Standard, but that came with the territory. Plus, no question the chambering of those axes were a cost cutting venture. Didn't cut the cost of buying the thing. Just another example of the world we live in. 

Vladan

• http://vladanmovies.blogspot.com
  • High on own Supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 04:38:04 PM »
I have to continue on generation issue, and "go with what you have" notion, on one other level.

The cheapest, modern, beginner set crap, strat knock off and plastic amp, are much better than the best guitars we had when we were kids. In USA it's probably little bit different, but for eastern Europe it surely hold true.
I remember when Maya and Solton guitars appeared in our shops. We were in awe, stood front a shop window every day. It was a mirracle. However, we could afford only Jolanas. Few lucky ones managed to obtain 20yr old Hofners, ann odd Cimar here and there, but they were rare.

Of course, pros had western instruments, but it was so far from our league. For that matter, I still can not afford real American Fender, or Gibson (I mean, I could, but not without some struggle). Afterall, I still play 25 yr old Squier.  Luckily enough, back to my first sentence, even the cheapest of today are good enough.

By the way, I'm 45.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 07:07:10 PM »
I'll have to agree Vladan. Here... well at least on the east coast in the US, when I was coming up, us poor guys had Teiscos, Silvertones and stuff like that. They were okay, but better than nothing and affordable. A working man's guitar. Another option were Bradley copies. Well built if I do say so myself. My "first" big time axe was a 65' Fender Mustang. The thing was though, is we worked with what we had. I'm 60, so what can I say? What is on the headstock will always be an issue for some I guess. I'm not losing any sleep on it. What you do with it counts the most. My best years are behind me, but I had an opportunity to jam and play with some artists that I'm a fan of. I'm cool with that.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:18:54 PM by zagatron1 »

VikingBlues

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 03:55:02 PM »
I'll have to agree that the guitars I could afford back in 1970 or therabouts were absolutely awful!  ;D

Standards now are hugely better thankfully. Which is all the more reason that I expect a "quality" badge guitar to deliver the goods, or to at least allow me to tweak it so that is gives that quality for me. Ho hum.

If all values of components remain the same, swapping PCB for hand wiring won't change a thing, soundwise. Except, may be, as you already predicted, in your head.
I would have given a try at changing the two 300k pots for 500k certainly, not just doing wiring. I'd have liked to maybe play around with wiring setups too. Anything to try and get rid of the thick mud that I hear.

But I'm stymied. If I mod the PCB I invalidate my warranty. If I take out the PBB I invalidate my warrnaty. If I want to upgrade the pickups then I've got the get special connectors from Holland!

Voiding the warranty for this is like replacing an audio system in a car and then being told the engine is no longer covered by the warranty. And this non-standard part that can't be replaced is not shown on the basic specifications of the guitar by Gibson. The CEO of Gibson has even pubicly stated that the PCB is not up to the job for people that like to tweak their guitars.

So basically someone is going to benefit from a knock down used price on a guitar that's essentailly hardly used and only left the factory 6 months ago. I can't think of any better solution. I do not want to end up spending twice the price of my PRS SE and invalidate the warranty to get a guitar that's no better. I've learned a lesson here hopefully.  ::)

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 05:02:15 PM »
Majority of mine where (in my lifetime) used. Warranty was not a big issue.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 07:21:52 PM »
Heres a pic of the control cavity on my SG 2011 control cavity, no PCB!

I think in your case, P-90's require different ratings for pots and caps... The Les Paul's are all the same.  Most now are even by default with coil tap/splits