Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Gospel gig  (Read 6097 times)

creekster52

• View Profile
Gospel gig
« on: March 30, 2013, 01:01:34 PM »
I have an opportunity to audition for a gospel group on Monday. I posted a profile on Bandmix.com and they contacted me the other day.

I have never played gospel before, but seems so close to blues/R&B that I think I will be OK.

Anyone have any tips?

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Gospel gig
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 04:52:34 PM »
My experience is there's so many "types' of Gospel music, it's hard to say without just jumpin' in an' gettin' yer feet wet if you haven't already. Years ago I tried it, an' it just so happened to be Baptist and it was way too fast for me and no where near blues. The mood of the music changed so fast, it made my head spin, but go ahead an' give it a go an' see how you do.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 10:38:21 AM »
if it's gospel, and there is a damn preacher within 500 miles of it who has 'involvement', try to keep your distance from the damn preacher. i no longer want anything to do with a group with a preacher in it.

as far as gospel, if it is traditional gospel, it's like the blues somewhat. if it's 'the new stuff' (aka, like in the last decade or so), it's alot more like rock. some of the stuff is enjoyable, some not.  note that my experience is...some of the young people want to exactly replicate the cd on the new stuff...there is no room for interpretation or change....  young people can be really closed minded. your experience may be very different...i wonder to myself if some of those kinds of people are control freaks first, and musicians a distant second, or third or....

have no way of knowing the makeup of this group you're considering.  i hope your experience is way different than mine.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 07:20:12 PM »
Well...It didn't work out for me due to logistics. I left my house at 5:30 to arrive before the 6:30 practice. At 6:45 I was still grid-locked in traffic and only 2/3 of the way there. I called, apologized, explained the situation and bowed out. I knew I couldn't handle the traffic thing twice a week.

CamKrist

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 09:17:29 AM »
Similar subject was being discussed at yahoo answers last week. I can post the link if needed.