Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Telecasters with 7.5 radius  (Read 5990 times)

creekster52

• View Profile
Telecasters with 7.5 radius
« on: April 04, 2013, 07:20:42 PM »
As I get older, I find that necks that are slightly chunkier are easier for me to play, or at least more comfortable. Most of the current models, both Squier & Fender, seem to be 9.5 radius and the modern C-shaped profile. Can you guys point me in the direction of the  models (past or present) that had the original Tele characteristics?

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Telecasters with 7.5 radius
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 08:15:59 PM »
As far as I know, the ''72 Deluxe Tele Deluxes had "C" necks with a 12" radius. I believe the '72 Thinlines and American Vintage 58' s had 7.25",  "U" shaped necks. The Baja Teles have "V" neck profiles with the 7.25 radius. Anything else....well you got me there. That's about the extent of my little bit of knowledge.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 10:11:40 AM »
creek, this'd be a good place to start, maybe.

http://www.fender.com/series/american-vintage/

as far as the neck profile is concerned, another way to go would be to buy 'the body' that you want with pups, then get a warmouth or aftermarket neck. as long as you're looking at bolt on fender necks, you can do what you please with the neck. i like that option. as i get older, and my left hand nerves get worse, i find i'm liking 9 guage strings, rounder necks....even the 25.5" scale makes a difference when you ahve older, slower hands.

people say 'oh, fenders are a guitar kit'. well, yeah....that's part of the beauty, i think... 

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 03:25:54 PM »
I may have to check out that Baja Tele. The soft V neck with might work, even with the 9.5 radius. I noticed the are expected to ship later this month. Maybe Guitar Center will have them in stock soon.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 03:27:37 PM by creekster52 »