Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Vintage Tremolo  (Read 13339 times)

johannes.maas

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Vintage Tremolo
« on: April 07, 2013, 05:12:27 PM »
Just bought a 50s Strat - a Tokai Springy Sound ST 100

http://www.tokaiguitar.de/vintage.php?folder=springy_sound_new&kat=001

I am really unexperienced with the vintage tremolo.

BC of better tuneability I "blocked" the tremm by turning the screws deeper so the springs out more tension on the trem and will stay on the corpus of the guitar.

Any experiences with this? Will it influence the sound?

Is there a better way to lock the trem? Anyone heard of the rockinger blackbox? i am thinking of trying the bbox out,,,

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Tremolo
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 06:23:42 PM »
I have mine set up to float. Blocking is one of many ways to accomplish what you're trying to do. Another way is to use all 5 tremolo springs if you haven't already, and screw the 2 tremolo claw screws in a half turn for starters. Check how far in the 6 pivot screws are in. You may want to back those out about a half turn each. You'll know you're on the right track when your bridge is decked with the strings on and up to tension. Then you check yer string height. Hopefully, you won't have to mess with the truss rod. I guess. :)

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 07:16:17 PM »
Black Box, Trem-setter, Tremol-No...just gimmicks!

There is a reason the pros just block it. I'm just amazed there aren't more hardtail strat models, and that they discontinued the aftermarket convertible hardtail bridge.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 07:17:55 PM by creekster52 »

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 11:39:12 PM »
Fender has been discontinuing some pretty decent stuff over the years and bridges are no exception. They're always changin' lanes on ya. I'm pretty sure you know that hardtail strats where quite common at one time. I reckon in this day and age, it's about what sells, and only what sells. It can be a guitar, amp, anything. Speaking of discontinued, I'm glad I got my Vibro Champ XD back. :)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 08:04:35 PM »
I have been using vintage trems for awhile now... Don't screw down the tremolo, but rather screw down the tremolo claw and add a spring or two to what's already there.  That should pull the tremolo down tight.  But you'll have to adjust the innotation and saddle height too.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 08:56:12 PM »
Fender has been discontinuing some pretty decent stuff over the years and bridges are no exception. They're always changin' lanes on ya. I'm pretty sure you know that hardtail strats where quite common at one time. I reckon in this day and age, it's about what sells, and only what sells. It can be a guitar, amp, anything. Speaking of discontinued, I'm glad I got my Vibro Champ XD back. :)

Rarely see any used hardtail strats for sale, so they must be prized possessions. I just don't understand why Fender doesn't get the message.

Glad you got your Vibro Champ XD back. I have been enjoying mine a lot!

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 11:29:13 AM »
Oh, Fender does get the message alright creek! It's just that in this day and age, what's important to them isn't necessarily the same as it was say......45 years ago for example. New folks, new ideas, new concepts....can't stop progress whether you agree to it or not I guess. Like I mentioned earlier, quite a bit of some decent stuff has came and gone. To tell you the truth, it's not just Fender, but you probably already know that. For example, I don't care for those chambered Les Pauls. They feel cheap to me, but that's just my take on the subject. If you want one that's not, you're gonna have to spend some serious green (like in the neighborhood of +/- $2599.00).

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 06:06:35 PM »
So true Zag.

Peavey and the Omniac are another example. Soft-V necks are getting very hard to find. The only Soft-V's I know of in current production are the Jimmy Vaughn Strat and the Baja Tele.

I do understand the reason for the switch to modern C profiles, but there are a lot of us aging guitarists who prefer a slightly fatter neck. I suppose if I had a guitar company marketing to the masses, I would probably do the same. Also, occasionally switching up production might result in higher resale value for some models, which boosts sales.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 06:26:50 PM »
Oh, Fender does get the message alright creek! It's just that in this day and age, what's important to them isn't necessarily the same as it was say......45 years ago for example. New folks, new ideas, new concepts....can't stop progress whether you agree to it or not I guess. Like I mentioned earlier, quite a bit of some decent stuff has came and gone. To tell you the truth, it's not just Fender, but you probably already know that. For example, I don't care for those chambered Les Pauls. They feel cheap to me, but that's just my take on the subject. If you want one that's not, you're gonna have to spend some serious green (like in the neighborhood of +/- $2599.00).

Nah, just buy a Heritage!

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 09:55:42 PM »
If I was to continue to play, I probably would check out a Heritage DB. Heard a lot of good things 'bout those. Believe it or not, I've never laid my hands on one ever. My loss I guess. I'm just gonna sit back an' listen to the good stuff you guys be kickin' out. I'm done buyin' gear. Got rid of some an' got a bit more to go. I may keep a little stuff. Oh yeah creek, don't forget the Classic Player '50s Strat has a soft "V" neck also.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:07:56 PM by zagatron1 »

johannes.maas

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 02:09:25 PM »
I diretly compared my Heritage H 150 with a Gibson Les Paul Standard. I took the Heritage, better feel / playability, much better sounding (maybe personal taste). The Standard had Gibson 490/498 PU s mounted, the Heritage has Gibson Classic 57 PAF's

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 07:29:12 PM »
If I was to continue to play, I probably would check out a Heritage DB. Heard a lot of good things 'bout those. Believe it or not, I've never laid my hands on one ever. My loss I guess. I'm just gonna sit back an' listen to the good stuff you guys be kickin' out. I'm done buyin' gear. Got rid of some an' got a bit more to go. I may keep a little stuff. Oh yeah creek, don't forget the Classic Player '50s Strat has a soft "V" neck also.

And I found that Strat to be my favorite Strat I've ever had my hands on.  Looking back, I think I should of kept that instead of my American Standard.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 07:47:22 PM »
I don't blame you DB. To be honest, I'd go for the Classic Player '50s Strat instead of an American Std. as well. I mean, the American Std. was okay, but I'd rather go with the Classic Player. It just feels better to me. I wasn't really impressed with the American Std. I had. And to think I almost got the Classic player. Oh well.  :-\

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 10:45:36 PM »
Ah, there is a Classic Series and Classic Player.  The Classic series is much better to me than the Classic Player.  I've had both to which I preferred the soft V 7.25" radius of the Classic series over the modern C 12" radius Classic player...