Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Blues Guitar Shuffle timing/rhythm  (Read 5645 times)

EMudgeSr

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Blues Guitar Shuffle timing/rhythm
« on: April 16, 2013, 11:51:07 AM »
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/lesson-61.php

I must be one of those visual learners because I am having a hard time duplicating what I hear in this lesson. Best I can visualize this question as triplets in 4-4 time is XXX  XXX  XXX XXX.  Where in the triplet are the d and u stokes made?  Specifically, where do I put the “pauses” in the shuffle triplet?  Is it duX duX duX duX or what?  What I think I am hearing is dX udX udX udX.

I would greatly appreciate someone helping me learn to visualize/play a shuffle rhythm.

NicolasA

• View Profile
Re: Blues Guitar Shuffle timing/rhythm
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 02:20:44 PM »
If I understand correctly your question, the answer is dXu dXu...But there is no "X" really, you just hold your downstroke note (the "d") , and there is no pause because the duration of the "u" is the same as th "d" and the"X"...
Not sure it helps  :P

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:47:50 PM »
The shuffle is playing the 1 and the 3 in a triplet. In others, if you are thinking xxx xxx xxx (123, 123, 123), which are triplets, just drop the middle one. This makes it x x, x x, x x (1pause3, 1pause3, 1pause3), etc.

Makes sense?

The upstroke is on the 3 of the triplet.

D pause U-D pause U-D pause U...

EMudgeSr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 08:00:47 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  After I posted my question I read the notice of the new course "Introduction to the Blues" (download $29.95) on this site.  Bought it and I just looked the 23 minutes of the course and it showed me exactly what I needed to know.  Great demostration with diagrams of the triplet shuffle.  Well worth the expense for me.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 09:59:03 PM »
Great to hear! Thank you. It's wonderful to know that the lessons I do are indeed helpful.