Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: it might get loud  (Read 20416 times)

reb

• View Profile
it might get loud
« on: May 09, 2013, 09:56:24 AM »
i have wondered a few times how they do 'modellilng'...this video series purportedly explains (credit, premier guitar, paul allen for the reference to the site):

http://wavesgtr.com/html/videos.html

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: it might get loud
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 10:40:08 AM »
Interesting stuff. Looks like those folks dumped a lot of time (and effort) in those projects to capture all the "tone goodness" that comes out.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 04:18:05 PM »
There really were some great tones there, and pretty affordable software too.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »
The title of the thread made me assume you were talking about the movie "It Might Get Loud"... which is great by the way.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 08:49:39 PM »
Me too..I saw the movie in a really nice movie theater. The theater even had a full service bar, so I got to sip on my beer and watched Page, Edge & White do their thing. What a contrast between the three as far a style & method.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 05:23:16 PM »
was intentional robert. i consider paul reed smith has as much of a legacy as jimmy paige, the edge or jack white.

i am kinda fascinated by the programming/cloning aspect, like what they did for many of the martin guitars that have the '6 microphone' electronics in them.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 03:05:37 PM »
Can't say I liked those modeled guitar tones much though....

Vladan

• http://vladanmovies.blogspot.com
  • High on own Supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 03:56:12 PM »
Thy're good for recording, better than the real thing, I think. Amps are great for inspiration, impression and that "magic"thing.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 09:54:03 PM »
robert, there are a bunch of videos in that series, evidently. if i might go all the way through them (and i won't since my data limit holds me back), i might find a lot to like.  as Vladan says (nods to Vladan), they sound much different processed through a recording setup, then played back as mp3's or wav files.

when i look at the sampling rates and depth rates of much 'digital', i find that it is coming closer every year or so to 'real' analog.  when i see so many using axe fx II for performances, i think, lke the kempner profiling amp, things are slowly changing.  there are delay units that have so much processing depth, i find i am confused to try to operate them. a simple zoom 'everything' box has a lot of processing power....i'm pretty simple...i wish i knew how to run a synth or some of the sophisticated stuff, but i find that seeing how it is developed is fascinating.  my purpose was not 'hey, you guys go spend thousands on modelling gear', but 'look how this stuff is done.'. those developers are dead serious about their work.

i have yet to find a 'box' that responds like a tube amp; someday, i think i will see that. the closest i have used myself so far is the 44 Magnum 'digital amplifier'.  it responds to touch much like a tube amp, and depending on the cabinet i have it hooked up to, it sounds pretty good...but it isn't as 'responsive' as a tube amp head in all situations. someday....i think like les paul said in an interview, responsiveness and clarity have a lot to do with the 'microphone' (the pickup).  the resistance of many pickups now is so high, i think that shuts off some response. the old low resistance stuff...down in the 6 and 7 range....those had a different sound. stick a fuzz box in front of them, and they would overload an amp. with 12 ohm (izzat right? ohms? i forget) before you put any pedals in line.  what most of us pickers don't understand about the electrical relations from strings to speaker would fill several books, i think...which is why i read a lot, and still don't get it all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickup_%28music_technology%29
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:59:10 PM by reb »

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 12:34:10 PM »
The only unit I have tested that is close to the feel of a real amp is the Kemper Profiling Amp. I was quite stunned when I tried it at NAMM this year.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
The only unit I have tested that is close to the feel of a real amp is the Kemper Profiling Amp. I was quite stunned when I tried it at NAMM this year.

Yeah, I'd be stunned too..... and that would be before I even hear what it sounded like. At what......, a price tag of around $1975.00 or so for that thing!  :o  Oh yeah, and now they have "The Kemper Profiler PowerHead" out now. This thing has the same amp modeling and emulation of the original Profiling Amplifier, PLUS a 600W power amp for an additional $665 bucks more. Oh, I almost forgot....let us not leave out "The Kemper Profiling Amp Bag " for a measly $124 (that's a tad more than the average guitar case.....if there is such a thing.) to protect your investment. ::)

Vladan

• http://vladanmovies.blogspot.com
  • High on own Supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 04:06:50 AM »
Expensive? Yes, but that "gear" is geared towards commercial studios, not even to professional musicians, let alone semi-amateur or hobyists. I guess that's where Waves whish to play the role.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 01:53:02 PM »
Well, on a different "note", has anybody checked out the Eleven Rack by Avid Audio?

http://www.avid.com/US/products/eleven-rack_2

I wondered about trying one out....... just a thought. Still rich for someone like me, but waaaaaaay more affordable at $699.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 04:17:26 PM »
I always worry about these types of things being rendered obsolete by the next "greatest new thing".

A good amp lasts a lifetime!

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 05:17:28 PM »
I always worry about these types of things being rendered obsolete by the next "greatest new thing".

A good amp lasts a lifetime!

Amen to that!