Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: it might get loud  (Read 20546 times)

reb

• View Profile
Re: it might get loud
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 02:03:34 PM »
eleven rack got listed as 'premier guitar gear for 2011' or some such-year's picks, aka.

as far as amps go, an eleven rack would simply confuse me and piss me off. option anxiety.

i have sold my dr. z maz 18 nr, getting ready to sell dr. z z28...because, something robert said made me do it...to paraphrase, he said something like 'my advice is to get the best amp you can afford'...or something like it. i bought a mesa boogie ta 15. best dang amplifier i have ever used...covers more ground than a circus tent, and sounds good doing it.  i see no point in selling the champ 600 or the valve jr, since they wouldn't bring enough to be worth the trouble, but i'm getting rid of any amps other than....i have a fender vibro champ xd that's going on ebay in the next few weeks. anything i don't play frequently is going to go, except for little stuff. i think i will even sell the cube 30, since i have only used it to run the looper....man, i'm on a roll. i can't see needing another amp than the ta 15.

see what you started, robert? i put my gorgeous evh wolfgang ht on ebay day before yesterday...great looking guitar with a great case...but i don't play it that much....play the cheap stuff i have and the carvins.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 02:57:58 PM »
Yeah, blame it all on me.... :)

The TA-15 looks cool. I haven't tried it. But isn't the Maz 18 a killer amp, just as good? It's also costs more!

I have too many amps, but several were given to me. I don't want to let them go because of that...

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 03:30:29 PM »
I know what you mean Reb. I love my 1994 Peavey Triumph 60 & 1994 Peavey Bandit 112. I'll probably keep my Vibro Champ XD though just because it is small and easy to transport. I have a Kustom Defender 5H head and a Peavey Backstage Plus that rarely get used, but they're so inexpensive that it's not worth the hassle of listing for sale.

p.s. If you like blues, you can't go wrong with a Boogie!!

BTW Robert...I don't blame you for my compulsion...LOL!!!

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 04:32:07 PM »
Yeah, blame it all on me.... :)

The TA-15 looks cool. I haven't tried it. But isn't the Maz 18 a killer amp, just as good? It's also costs more!

I have too many amps, but several were given to me. I don't want to let them go because of that...

"Too many amps" eh? Hows 'bout "givin" me that Epi Valve Jr. combo if ya still got it. ;D

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 04:21:54 PM »
robert, the maz18 nr has a great reputation, but i could never find 'the tone i want' without pedals. i finally gave up when i read this:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2012/Mar/Covering_The_Tonal_Bases_Part_2_Amps.aspx

i can go from fender clean to mesa rectifier or a marshall kind of sound with the included footswitch, no pedals. pedals like delay (which is my favorite) only add icing to the cake.  the thing even has a top boost setting, that sounds a lot like a vox to me.

can't blame you for not wanting to sell gift amps. stuff like that reminds a person of someone.

yeah, creek. when you find what works for ya, senseless to keep on looking. but blame robert. he's convenient, and doesn't seem to mind.

zag, you must mean robert. i have the head valve jr. shipping would be more than it is worth-the maz 18 cost 60 bucks to ship to seattle area. i think i read someone bought a valve jr. for $49 a year of so ago. take a look at ebay, maybe?

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 06:29:14 PM »
Yeah Reb, I was playin' around with Robert. :) Now that you mention it, I've never even played through a Dr Z amp much less owned one. The only reason why I have what I do have is the fact that they where left at my band practice facility by folk that owed me big time (for time). I had more stuff, but some folk came and payed their bill but others just abandoned their stuff. I sold a bit to pay some bills, but still got a rack of mics and stands, etc. Fender stuff includes 1 Super 60, 1 Super Reverb, 1 Deluxe Reverb (non-RI), Super Sonic 22, Concert II, Peavey Renoun, Roland JC-77, an Acoustic 134, an Ampeg B-15N Portaflex and other odds and ends. So, you see if I need something right away, I got it covered. All this stuff is in storage. The stuff I originally paid for (MY stuff) is at home. Good thing about this is if (and when) I move some this other stuff, I'll have the resources to try out and get some stuff I want. :)

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2013, 12:04:20 PM »
essentially, zag, that's what i'm doing. having messed with electric guitar 'in the present' for about a decade, i've gotten some definite opinions of what i like and what works for me. selling what i don't use or can't make work for me is giving me a little nut to buy 'otherwise'.

sounds like the debtors left you some decent stuff. ought to bring good money.

i was going to say i might be interested in the ampeg, until i looked one up...wow! scroll down a few items...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ampeg+portaflex

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 12:27:40 PM »
Wow Reb, I've never seen a twin twelve Portaflex before now. The one I have is "like" the 18th one down on that Ebay page. Perhaps a bit older. I never really spent a lot of time with it, except to make sure it worked (which it does). I got lucky with ALL the drum stuff I had. This guy that specializes in drums (sales) bought everything I had back in 2010.  Yeah, the process is a bit slow in these parts, but things'll get sold eventually. I just checked out some Reeves amps yesterday.  http://www.reevesamps.com/  Closest thing I'll ever get to a Hiwatt these days. Oddly enough I had one back in the early '70s.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 06:28:47 PM »
i've only ever played he Hiwatt 'models'.  since i don't do a lot of real distorted stuff, the models in zoom and digitech boxes don't sound that great to me. i think playing one of the real oldies vs. hearing them goes back to the earlier model discussion.

i'll tell you what i wish (nostalgia alert)...i wish i had my airline 12" guitar amp from 1969 back. i remember asking my Dad to sell it in a garage sale when i had moved to my first job....away, of course. 70s were tough for jobs. dang! for that matter, i think he kept the money he got for it, too....double dang!