Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Pickup Time  (Read 12915 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Pickup Time
« on: May 20, 2013, 07:53:50 PM »
Here we go. Every once in awhile something new crosses our path. Lately, I discovered these - http://www.zexcoil.com/welcome.html , so here's the question, has anybody seen or heard of (or heard) these babies? Interesting concept. Noiseless. Sounds decent. Not cheap. Good looks too. Originally, I was asking around to find out folks' take on Fender's Super 55 Split Coil pickups. Consensus tells me they're (the Fender Split Coils) nothing to write home about. Y'know, I didn't realize the number of noiseless (or hum canceling) manufacturers that are out there. You got what.....Kinman, Fender, Zexcoil, Fralin, Bill Lawrence, Lace, DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, Joe Barden and a rack of others I failed to mention. Plenty of options out there.

creekster52

• View Profile
Re: Pickup Time
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 08:22:47 PM »
I have a set of Fender Hot Rod noiseless pups in a Peavey Falcon (Kahler model). They are fine for distortion, but are sort of lifeless when played clean...until I activate the bright switch. Total improvement.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 10:19:15 PM »
I talked to Zex Coil owner/creator at NAMM. Seems like a clever design. Steviesnacks loves them.

I'm old school though - I go with Porter Pickups - super well made with TONE to the BONE. I have several sets of his.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
Other than my own wind (in my CV '50s Tele), I use Klein pickups these days.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 04:32:56 PM by zagatron1 »

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 03:52:27 PM »
Here's a clip with my Porter 1950's pickups.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6808503/clips/plexor-1.mp3

Using the POD HD500 with a Plexi model.

Yum, I love the sound of this guitar now.... and it's an old piece of shite Squier!

Memory Lane Jr

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 05:24:37 PM »

Yum, I love the sound of this guitar now.... and it's an old piece of shite Squier!
Great tone Robert as per usual 8)
Have you used a HD300?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 06:06:54 PM by Memory Lane Jr »

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 10:29:26 AM »
Oh yeah... on the pickup subject, has anyone heard of Dominger Pickups? I kinda found 'em by accident.

http://www.domingerpickups.com/default.html

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 10:52:06 AM »

Great tone Robert as per usual 8)
Have you used a HD300?

Yes, I have an HD300 too. It's a great addition but it can't do some of the things my hd500 can do.

Never heard of Dominger pickups. Do check out Porter Pickups www.porterpickups.com - I really like them a lot.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 12:21:11 PM »
Wow! I didn't know you had both o' them puppies! An HD500 AND a 300. I started to get the 300, then changed my mind for the 400, but got side tracked with other things goin' on. Even tho' these are different all together, I still have an M9 and TC Electronic's Nova System. BTW those Porters are nice.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 12:34:50 PM »
I was taking a good look at Porter's Pickups... I was specifically looking for Alnico II single coils, but Porter's are all Alnico V's.  I found myself enjoying a mellower pickup with the Alnico II's on my Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers and APS-2's.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 09:48:31 PM »
Just put a Porter Custom TeleŽ Set in a client's guitar yesterday. Sounds crisp and clean in all positions. He loves 'em.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 11:48:45 PM »
Just put a Porter Custom TeleŽ Set in a client's guitar yesterday. Sounds crisp and clean in all positions. He loves 'em.

I'm not surprised. They are the real deal with great workmanship.

sven

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 05:57:55 PM »
Im doing a trade for some Lawrence noiseless ones. Ill let you know how that works. I have a set of fender vn I like a lot. Im kind of on a noiseless kick right now. The fenders convinced me noiseless arent not as bad as everyone says.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 08:10:10 PM »
Im doing a trade for some Lawrence noiseless ones. Ill let you know how that works. I have a set of fender vn I like a lot. Im kind of on a noiseless kick right now. The fenders convinced me noiseless arent not as bad as everyone says.

Yeah, I've tried a set of Fender's Vintage Noiseless ones and they sound good to me. Haven't personally tried the Hot Noiseless (ceramic), or the Super 55s split coils. Haven't seen those Samarium Cobalt Noiseless ones lately, but I think they were superseded by the N3 Noise Canceling pickups.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:24:43 PM by zagatron1 »

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 06:32:48 PM »
I'm tossing in a set of Lace Sensor Golds myself.... I love regular single coils, but the noise kills me.