Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: The Chorus Pedal  (Read 4823 times)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Chorus Pedal
« on: May 30, 2013, 08:19:30 AM »
Last year I went on a search for a used Boss Super Chorus... I only needed it for one song the band was working on covering... ZZ Top's "I Thank You".... It bothered me I had bought this pedal for just one song...  I know the pedal is popular for metal and other harder genres of music, but never thought much about the blues...

Last weekend, while at Buddy Guy's Legends, I saw a real deal blues band tearing up the stage.   The guitarist there used a Chorus pedal almost exclusively throughout the show... Despite its odd use to me for blues, I found it worked quite well with the band.  I decided to try using mine with both my Amplitube app on the iPad and my actual Boss Super Chorus.... I found the tone to be rather delightful and give my sound just a little something different that just may help me cut through the mix.  Never thought I'd like a chorus pedal this much, but its nice to rediscover a modulation effect for a new purpose.

If that wasn't enough, I also realized how much I absolutely love the tones I get from the Digitech Bad Monkey.  It works really well with the Bassman channel on my SS.  Add the chorus and I have a much edger blues tone I really dig.  Pedals can be fun to rediscover and re-purpose..

Anyone else make subtle or not so subtle discoveries like this?

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: The Chorus Pedal
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 10:05:04 AM »
Sure thing. Guess that's how things get started..... thinking "outside the box". I have a old DOD FX-65 Stereo Chorus and have it on almost all the time. My EH Memory Boy has a chorus feature also, but gets used more for vibrato.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Chorus Pedal
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 10:54:10 AM »
I use chorus almost only as a faux leslie effect. Although in our cover band, I use some Line 6 POD analog chorus effect for a few 80's songs.