Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Robben Ford Lesson - Chevrolet Lick  (Read 5429 times)

Stan

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Robben Ford Lesson - Chevrolet Lick
« on: June 15, 2013, 11:10:49 AM »
Hi

this is a great lick that i would like to incorporate into my playing, however i'm not sure how or when or what chord to play this lick over?

Could it be used as a turn-around as well?

Cheers

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Robben Ford Lesson - Chevrolet Lick
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 12:56:10 PM »
Hi Stan, you can of course play it over the tune "Chevrolet", or any blues in the key of A. The lick works over both A minor, or A7.
It does not work as a turnaround lick, since it ends on the note A, but change that note to E and it should work. Give it a try.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 01:06:27 PM »
Try this on for size - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uDYA8zA7z0 ...... you'll know when it's right, 'cause it will "sound" right. Sounds like a G major pentatonic scale. First time I ever heard that groove. I could have fun "wit dat!".

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 02:32:52 PM »
Hi Stan, you can of course play it over the tune "Chevrolet", or any blues in the key of A. The lick works over both A minor, or A7.
It does not work as a turnaround lick, since it ends on the note A, but change that note to E and it should work. Give it a try.

Thanks for info Robert appreciate your response. I have a request Robert, with regards to Turnarounds. Seeing you knew straight away if that lick would work or not, I would like to be able to have that type of info/understanding of Turnaround as well.
I've look around alot to find the mechanics of a Turnaround with no joy. Perhaps you can do a video on the basics of the Turnaround?

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 05:29:44 PM »
Try this on for size - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uDYA8zA7z0 ...... you'll know when it's right, 'cause it will "sound" right. Sounds like a G major pentatonic scale. First time I ever heard that groove. I could have fun "wit dat!".

thanks for link, i spent some time with that lesson as well, pretty easy cept for the swing beat, lick in Gmin penta

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 12:42:40 AM »
Thanks Stan. The turnaround ends on a chord note for the V chord (E7 in the case of an A blues). So, you can play almost anything and as long as you end up with a chord note for E7, you'll be fine. That would be either an E, D, G# or B.

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
Thanks Robert for that valuable information i really appreciated the simplicity of it.

I still think a few lessons on turnarounds are in order

almost everyone i asked didn't know what you easily point out.

Cheers

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 12:16:46 PM »

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 07:36:24 PM »
thnks Robert I'll have a look/listen and hopefully some explanations on the make up is within
cheers