Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Marshall in a box....  (Read 9517 times)

bluesgtr68

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Marshall in a box....
« on: July 26, 2013, 10:46:21 AM »
I'd like some opinions on what is the best MIAB out there... I have used the Tech 21 British and also the Joyo Hot Plexi but I'm thinking about getting the Weehbo JCM or Plexdrive which I saw on youtube. Anybody seen these or try them out? The JCM looks like it beats the Plexi Drive by Wampler out big time.

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Marshall in a box....
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 01:21:39 PM »
There's no such thing as the "best" MIAB. Almost everyone you ask is gonna give you a different answer. This goes for ALL pedals! I've heard Wampler's  Plexi-Drive, Plextortion, Carl Martin PlexiTone, Lovepedal Purple Plexi and heard some say Fulltone's OCD pedal, MXR '78 Distortion, Marshall Gov'nor, MI Audio Crunch Box, Boss ST-2 Power Stack......the list goes on and on. One of the most pivotal things to consider is what kind of amp you'd be using with whatever pedal?  Man, it's like trying on shoes or something. Your ears will let you know what you want to go with. I mean check this out...... I, JUST found out about these guys about a month (or two) ago, and here's their version - http://jettergear.com/portfolio/gold-45100  Don't know how long they've been in the game, but there's lots of folk getting their feet wet. Anyway, it's all up to you in the end.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 01:51:43 PM by zagatron1 »

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 07:12:44 PM »
There's no such thing as the "best" MIAB. Almost everyone you ask is gonna give you a different answer. One of the most pivotal things to consider is what kind of amp you'd be using with whatever pedal?

...And of course the type of guitar(s) you plan to use.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 07:19:13 PM by creekster52 »

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 12:55:57 PM »
I am curious to hear which Marshall style pedal you like the most.

I have a COT-50 with does a kind of Plexi thing.

There are some pedals that are more of a JCM800 crunch than Plexi tone. I think MI Audio Crunch Box is one of those?

Memory Lane Jr

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 05:21:38 PM »
I am curious to hear which Marshall style pedal you like the most.

I have a COT-50 with does a kind of Plexi thing.

There are some pedals that are more of a JCM800 crunch than Plexi tone. I think MI Audio Crunch Box is one of those?

New MI Audio Super Crunch Box, from 60's Plexi to JCM..
http://www.mieffects.com/SCB.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8StXxhwvB7s

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 01:08:01 PM »
before i'd spend the money 'searching' for a miab, i'd just buy a marshall....one sized to what i wanted to do with it.

pedals can drain your bank account....and max your credit cards, too. it's a sickness....'cough..cough'...

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 07:05:52 PM »
I used a Marshall MS-2 mini amp for a while when I lived on a small sailboat in Florida. The internal speaker sucked (of course!), but through headphones or on the front end of an amp it was pretty nice. I did use it sometimes with a Behringer Ultra-G DI, which has a 4x12 emulator, and that was great. I never did try it in the effects loop. You can find them both dirt cheap on Ebay ocassionally.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 07:07:32 PM by creekster52 »

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 08:33:55 PM »
I had a Boss Power Stack that I thought sounded like a Marshall in a box.