Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: To Relic or not to Relic?  (Read 7108 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
To Relic or not to Relic?
« on: August 02, 2013, 07:08:20 PM »
Now here's a subject I don't recall ever being discussed here. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but what's your take on this popular practice fellas? Personally, I believe it's a waste of time. The natural process is the way to go. Gives 'em character an' stuff. Like a favorite pair of jeans. I didn't like those stone washed (or whatever they called 'em) jeans either. I think you gotta earn those wear marks on that axe! It all just goes into a category like "modding" something the day it comes off the UPS/Fed Ex truck! Having NOS tubes at the ready for a brand new amp! Trying to dye white parts to look old and worn. Screwing up a perfectly good paint job to get "The Look!" Worrying about how much resistance is in a pickup. Spending green for $220 pickups to put in a $75 Squier "Bullet". Falling for the snake oil an' things like that. Quite a few of these cats waste more time tryin' to re-invent the wheel, instead of learning and improving. Know what?  Ya can't tell 'em nuthin'! They know it all. They don't realize part of the so called "tone" they're after is in the fingers. They just don't get "IT", and if you hear some of 'em play on You Tube, you know they haven't got "IT" yet.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: To Relic or not to Relic?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 08:56:58 PM »
I like the look, but I prefer it done the natural way!

Many guitarists should probably focus on playing more than buying, tweaking and discussing! Ha! Me included....

VikingBlues

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 02:56:43 AM »
The appeal of paying extra for a "fake" relic job has never really appealed to me. The artificial relic process has on one occasion put me off buying a guitar that sound-wise appealed a lot to me - had it been a normal finish I'd have bought it.

I'm not 100% sure why even a naturally aged looking guitar is held in such high esteem either - it just means it's old and been used a lot.

As for the hogwash of relics made to look like a particular players guitar - like say the Fender Custom Rory Gallagher guitar - it just looks like I'd want to clean it so as not to catch something of it! Certainly wouldn't make me play like Rory Gallagher did as I don't have his fingers, brain, or talent. I'd love to play like him - wonderful guitarist and his last album "Fresh Evidence" is one of my all time favourites. I see one of those guitars for sale on ebay UK just now - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Rory-Gallagher-Signature-Stratocaster-RARE-Irish-Guitar-Legend-/390442198414#vi-content - just short of 2900 (3300 euros, 4400 dollars). OUCH!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 03:17:35 AM by VikingBlues »

johannes.maas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 11:07:46 AM »
Personally I really like the light aged look on a Les Paul for example...

Sometimes it is just too much, I would not buy a guitar that has excessive damage on the finish...

This would be a bit too much for my taste

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlzyaVLKcc0&feature=youtu.be

although its a killer guitar (price in eu is atm 13.000 )

I actually would not buy an aged one but an older Les Paul from the mid 90s or late 80s for example.

If someone really likes the aged look and can not afford to buy a real old guitar or does not want to wait the next 20 years - then hey I am fine with that.

My guitars will most likely look not old even 20 years later as I really care for them, clean them after sessions, always store them in my case, clean strings, hardware n stuff... So it will take a while for that aged look (-:

VikingBlues

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 11:12:35 AM »
I was reminded of this thread. Reading an article in the UK magazine Guitar & Bass "Classics" issue - called Ultimate Vintage Guitar Collections.

There's pictures of a nearly 40 year old Framus ES-175D semi belonging to Steve Howe. He bought it in 1964 and has used it regularly as his #1 guitar. It's been on world tours and still goes on European tours with a separate seat booked for it. It looks more like it's spent 40 years in a glass cabinet. A beautiful looking guitar.  8) I'd much rather have one that looks like that than like a relic job that looks like a guitar that's been dragged around a car park behind a car.

Oddly enough while writing this Johannes post just showed up. Like you Johhanes, Steve Howe looks after his guitars well, so you're in good company.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 12:37:30 PM »
i'm a relic. if i could get my 'finish' restored....and all my wiring redone, i'd dang sure do it.  replace my 'pickups'-sure! let's do it...i won't even ask 'how much'...throw in the strings, the neck...everything. yeah, momma.

therefore...i want my guitar to look as nice as i can make it.  i would pay extra for an old style finish-say, nitro....but extra to have someone beat up my guitar??? no. heck no. crazy....like paying extra for a worn out pair of jeans. duh. if i want to strip the finish off a neck coz it's too 'slick', i have the skills to do it....but i don't care to pay extra to have someone else do it.

$4400 for a scratched up rory gallagher signature model, VB? what is with those peoples....

a friend who makes boots told me about a $12,000 pair of luccheses on ebay or somewhere. same kind of deal...i relic boots in a couple weeks....i don't want fancy boots or fancy guitars, i want 'players and workers'.

johannes.maas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 01:01:05 PM »

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 04:45:14 PM »
Dont try this at home:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1eA5_4gyQw

This should be a criminal offense punishable by relic-ing the perpetrator...LOL!!  :'(

Memory Lane Jr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 01:36:11 AM »
I think relicing is crap, why ruin a perfectly good guitar  >:(
Fair enough if it happens naturally from constant playing, but I would hate to watch somebody do that.
I don't pamper my guitars or anything I own these days but I take good care of my equipment.

VikingBlues

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 01:55:49 PM »
Dont try this at home:

This should be a criminal offense punishable by relic-ing the perpetrator...LOL!!  :'(

Wow - that's some sick video. Yeah - plays better than before - bet dropping the tools on the body helped that along!!

johannes.maas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 07:52:21 AM »
Dont try this at home:

Wow - that's some sick video. Yeah - plays better than before - bet dropping the tools on the body helped that along!!

LOL