Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Bass - I am going to learn it  (Read 4912 times)

johannes.maas

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Bass - I am going to learn it
« on: August 27, 2013, 04:47:43 PM »
Will buy a nice Squire vintage mod. jazz bass within the next weeks (looking for a used one)

Was thinking about buying a bass for recording... browsed through a few videos and found this guy in youtube. This really makes we want to learn!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XueSfYBYI3c&feature=relmfu

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Bass - I am going to learn it
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 06:06:51 PM »
Thanks for the tip! I can play, but just basic stuff. This will allow me to take it to another level. If I decide to do so of course. I've had basses before, but they sat most of the time. Wouldn't hurt to have one at the ready. I particularly like the Squier Classic Vibe '50s Precision Bass since I've borrowed one for some recent projects.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 11:13:23 PM »
From what I've been told, learning the basics to bass are important when learning to become a better guitarist... Good choice.

johannes.maas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 10:31:02 AM »
I am already able to play basic bass licks and progressions. Also had piano lessons for more than 8 years - that both helps
a lot when it comes to composing and recording own songs.

I will get a jazzbass till the end of the year and maybe take lessons to learn faster.

Would be also great to have a really good keyboard or stage piano but I can not spend all my money on equipment (which I did the last 3 years) or my wife will be mad at me (-:

(bought a hagstrom viking, a tokai strat, a FGN Neo Classic Les Paul and a Schecter Hellraiser + a Heritage H 150 and an accoustic guitar during the last 3 years, sold the heritage, the tokai and the hagstrom - then bought a Bogner Alchemist Tube amp, 2 ENGL Gigmaster Amps (15 W and 30 W), sold one of the ENGLīs and the bogner, bought an ENGL Fireball 60 W Tube amp as well as a pedaltrain and a bunch of effects)... this has to stop (-:

btw... just bought the digitech Bad monkey (some sort of tubescreamer) - really great overdrive pedal! - as well as the carl martin octa switch for programming presets and switching my pedals

Vladan

• http://vladanmovies.blogspot.com
  • High on own Supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 04:07:48 AM »
Nothing clever to add, but some30 years ago, my high school classmate asked me to give him couple of guitar lessons. I was like 2 years into the guitar then, and knew only slightly less about it than what I know now, which is not much (This could also go to that "Is it worth it" thread.). Anyway, at the end of the 1st lesson he asked me, "Hey, maybe I should learn bass instead, there's 2 strings less, must be easier?"

johannes.maas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 04:58:53 AM »
I think the trickiest thing in bass playing is the tightness of your rhythm. You have to play 120% correct and in line with the drummer.
This applies not only for your picking hand (right hand if right handed) but also for the other left hand. Especially when it comes to slapping
I think its rather hard to learn.

Also good instructional video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W70XkdHSQPA

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 06:04:54 PM »
Don't forget, while playing that bass, you gotta key off the drummer's bass drum.