Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: DiMarzio 36th anniversary PAF  (Read 4281 times)

johannes.maas

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
DiMarzio 36th anniversary PAF
« on: September 20, 2013, 07:49:17 AM »
I am getting a set of DiMario 36th anniversary PAFs installed in my FGN Neo Classic LS 10 Les Paul.

I was not able to test them out before so I am really curious about how they sound

a) in that guitar
and
b) in combination with my ENGL Firebal (which is rather a high gain amp)

Of course I can produce nice clean tones with the amp and also some low gain sounds together with my
digitech bad monkey.

Anyone has experiences with these pickups?

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: DiMarzio 36th anniversary PAF
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 10:00:29 AM »
I had a client looking for a set of humbuckers for his Epi Les Paul, so I recommended those (DP103 & DP223). It was kinda hard to get definitive demo on those, so I took a chance anyway.  Compared to most they're a good affordable set. Compared to my Seymour D. '59s (in my personal LP), they're a tad brighter. I think you'll be able to make 'em work for ya. That's just my 2 cents.

johannes.maas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 10:17:50 AM »
Yeah, they are much more affordable as the seymour duncan antiquities or the kloppmann 59s for example.

The Kloppmanns should be state of the art and are very famous at least here in Germany. Do you know the Kloppmann Pickups?
The owner, Andreas Kloppmann makes nearly exact replications of the old PAFs. He also produces Strat Pickups and Tele Pickups.

A Set of the 59s for example costs around 450 which should be somthing like 600 USD...

Btw... Kloppmann pickups are made round the corner a few miles away from where I live...

Here is a demo of a orca 59 by Nick Huber with a Kloppmann 59 Set

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghTmqGNok1M

I would hardly buy an expensive guitar like that (around 5000) as well as pickups in that price range.

So I think the 36th anniversary are a good deal. Will post some sound files if I have my guitar back!

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 12:33:03 PM »
That demo sounded sehr gut! That was my first time hearing of (and about) Kloppmann pickups. If you can, check out the regular production '59s by Seymour and see what you think. They're not much more than Dimarzio. I got a set in one of my Les Pauls as I wasn't hard pressed to use antiquities.

johannes.maas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 02:29:18 PM »
If you liked tht sound and video you should check out this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzJb4nOtkK4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

its the 50s Strat Set by Kloppmann.

The guy that does the demo is Olli Lohmann, makes really great demos and I really enjoy his demos

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 02:56:14 PM »
I remember this guy. First time I checked him out, he was doing a vid on an amp. I just don't recall which one. Anyway, I enjoyed it. Now, in this one the 50s Strat set got it goin' on, however it seems to have an "aggressive" sound. I'm not sure if it was from the player's attack (and/or style), or it's just the nature of the pickup.