Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Fender Mustang 1  (Read 4529 times)

dkelban

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Fender Mustang 1
« on: September 24, 2013, 01:44:57 PM »
Hi, and thanks in advance for your input. I'm thinking of a small practice amp and the mustang sounded awesome on youtube. How hard is it to learn to use it? I bought a fender gdec 30 and had to sell the damn thing because i couldn't learn how to program it. It's tough being 62. I learned how to program my boss gt-6 effects unit, but that used up the remaining brain cells, lol.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fender Mustang 1
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 08:09:45 PM »
It's not for playing with a band, but they sound great for a bedroom or recording amp.  Best amp on the market for that price.

VikingBlues

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 02:09:38 PM »
I've seen good things said on various forums about the Mustang I and very little criticism ... but I haven't used one - I've been rather unimpressed with the Fender / FUSE software when I've had to use it - not necessarily complicated to use but can be to set up, and I'm really not convinced by a lot of the sounds when I've tried it on other amps.

Body of opinion seems good : Amazon 4.7/5, Ultimate Guitar 8.6/10, Musicians Friend 4.5/5.

I know what you mean about the Fender G-Dec 30 - I still have one and use it mainly for playing backing tracks. Trying to get to grips with it at first was not fun, and I didn't find the computer connectivity side of things very user friendly at all. Or bug free. I'm not convinced I like the computer to be involved in playing my amps at all. Used to play guitar through it when I first got it, but the sounds didn't really do it for me.

I'm currently using a Fender Super Champ XD which is good for sound (clean tube channel and tube + DSP voicing channel) and is very simple to use - I'm a bit behind you in age at 58 years old ... BUT I'm struggling more and more with new technology. My previous Super Champ XD developed a fault which Fender found difficult to fix and, as the XD was inexplicably discontinued, they offered me the "upgraded" new Super Champ X2 amp .. that had the "benefit" of FUSE software which for me turned out to be a useless extra function for a very unsatisfactory amp which was soon sold.

You did damn well getting the hang of the GT-6 - I had the Boss GT-8 and, despite purchasing an instructional DVD, it not only destroyed my remaining brain cells but very nearly destroyed my will to live.

dkelban

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 07:02:13 PM »
Thanks for the imput. There are g-dec instructional dvd's and written instructions after-market which may help. My regular amp is a Peavey classic 30: can't beat it. Great clean and unreal distortion.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 08:55:50 PM »
i like my Fender Champ 600. if i want to put a pedal in front of it, it's honest in its response.

i am not a fan of amps with wads of built in effects. typically, i either don't like the effects, or can't figure how to get the most from them. i'm 60, so...i feel your pain.  another small amp i am fond of is the Fender Pro Jr. may be too loud for what you want, however. the gt 6 may be all the effects you ever want or need.  the Champ will sound a little compressed at working volume-I have had no such issues with the Pro Jr.-have never had it above 3; the Champ frequently is all up to play with the stereo backing tracks set at moderate volume.

find a music store, try both.

if i want backing tracks, i play them through my stereo.