Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Vintage V100 Lemon Drop  (Read 6760 times)

VikingBlues

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Vintage V100 Lemon Drop
« on: October 03, 2013, 09:54:04 AM »
Last time I had a NGD I jumped the gun and posted all about it before I'd had a chance of trying it out and getting to know it properly. As that ended in disaster and egg on face I've waited a bit this time. So now it's a couple of weeks or so since purchase ....

I've considered on quite a few occasions over the last 6 years to get one of these Lemon Drops. I'd hoped one day they'd bring out a non-relic version, but as it hadn't happened in the 7 years since their release I 'd reckoned it was unlikely. The relic job is not great and I'm afraid the relic job on the back of the guitar is awful and I hesitate to upload a picture of that!

At least the relic work on the front isn't hugely noticeable - just not very realistic when you do notice. There are screw holes for where a scratch plate used to be supposedly fixed and screw holes on the back of the headstock where different style tuners were once supposed to be. A plus from the relic aspect though is that there is not much finishing job on the back of the neck and it's very smooth for running the thumb along. It also means I'm not having to worry about dings and knocks which is quite nice. I have also found I've stopped noticing what it looks like already.

Pretty well coinciding with my purchase, but I hadn't seen anything about it until a few days ago - Vintage are bringing out a non relic version! What wonderful timing.  ::)  Thankfully I'm glad I am OK with the relic finish after all.  :)

The hardware including the (out of phase wired) pickups is Trev Wilkinson made. The pickups are his premium make - type of wire, coil size, type and size of magnets etc all from his detailed discussions with Seth Lover, and the covers are solid nickel silver. What I can say for sure is that they have a clarity about them that is not something I've come to expect from modern Humbuckers especially when they're on a huge slab of mahogany like this (10 lbs (4.5 kg) and a thick padded bass guitar strap to save my back!). A sound much more to my liking than the humbucker pickups on the Vintage SG I had for a while a year or so ago - the neck feels better than that Vintage SG too - it's more of a skinny 60s that fat 50s neck and I prefer that.

Things done on taking it out of the box .... changed strings for ones without touches of rust, gave the fretboard some conditioner, turned the screws on the bridge about half a turn to raise the action just a tad. Intonation is fine! I then checked the measurements for strings regarding action, Nut, and Neck Relief. All measurements are within the range I have on my Hagstrom, Strat and PRS - which have all had me do some work on them to improve the measurements. I raise my hat to Vintage for this standard of set up out of the box. Pretty good job on fret ends too - only very slight hints of a bit of sharpness anywhere. I haven't yet checked out pickup heights - but they do seem pretty well balanced - and I like the sound as they are.

The wiring looks very neat and tidy. Pots labelled JS A500 and JS B500, which at least means 500k pots this guitar. Also the Vintage is refreshingly free of PCBs in the wiring cavity. I think JS stand budget in terms of quality but given the overall price I'll not complain anyway.

Whatever, at 275 (325 Euros) I reckon so far that it's astoundingly good value for money.  8)

The other impressive thing:-

Seems like the neck angle coming into the body is around the 4 degree angle that Les Pauls had from 1954 till the late 60s. This means there is only about 1/16" clearance below the treble height thumbwheel on my Tune-O-Matic bridge. The break angle of the strings down to the tailpiece is not too steep. I believe by the time Gibson relocated to Nashville the angle had increased to 5 or even as high as 6 degrees. Just a 1 degree increase in the angle can mean the bridge needs to be 1/4" higher. My Japanese made Tokai Les Paul Custom had that sort of higher angle and I recall having to top-wrap the strings to get the tailpiece flat on the body.

Just seems like this guitar has been put together well with some attention to detail. Which at this price level is unexpected and hugely welcome.

SOUNDS:-
https://soundcloud.com/vikingblues/ballad61-with-a-lemon-drop - Ballad/Rock Blues - with a bit of overdrive. Neck Pickup.
https://soundcloud.com/vikingblues/hard-time-to-drop-a-lemon - Blues Rock - way more than my usual overdrive. Mainly Bridge Pickup which is something I usually avoid. Using the heavy O/D Tweed voice on the Super Champ XD which I also usually avoid.
https://soundcloud.com/vikingblues/aint-no-love-so-have-a-lemon - Mellow Bluesy - more my "trademark" sound - which it seems I can do with this guitar.

I think the Lemon Drop has got the range to suit me.  8)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Vintage V100 Lemon Drop
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 11:51:59 AM »
Y'know, that axe reminds me of the ESP LTD EC-256 and believe it or not, they just happen to come in what they call a " Non-Distressed Lemon Drop" color and has a 3 knob control configuration. Congrats to you. Good to know you're bonding with it. Nice color too. Me like. Haven' t heard your sound bytes (bites?) yet, but I'll be back.

Okay. Heard the first one but the other two...... uh they didn't play. Yeah VB I'm in the "bluesy" category as well, but I step it up a bit beyond mellow at times.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:01:00 PM by zagatron1 »

Memory Lane Jr

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage V100 Lemon Drop
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 12:49:38 AM »
Nice one  mate reminds me of my ESP/LTD EC1000 MGO I sold recently.