Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Fusion video  (Read 8312 times)

Memory Lane Jr

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Fusion video
« on: October 30, 2011, 08:01:48 AM »
Love this sort of playing if only my fingers ( or brain ) would work faster.
 I  have picked up some parts from watching this video, but nothing like this guy. Any fusion lessons Robert? I practise a couple of hours a day but I guess you need to practise all day to play like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://youtu.be/aM8oWv2M22A

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Fusion video
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 03:52:39 PM »
Ahhhh, Proto Cosmos! I first heard that cut on the album "Believe it" by "The New Tony Williams Lifetime" back in 1975. That group featured Allan Holdsworth on the git fiddle. I love that stuff. After my R&B days took a dive, I did the fusion thing for awhile back then, but we were more Mahavishnu Orchestra-ish. Maybe some Brand X thrown in for good measure. I listened to lots of fusion and still love it. I still have that stuff in my collection. Those gigs sort of saved me from the inevitable, by that I mean "Disco" and "Go-Go music". A couple of "genres" that have no use for guitar players. So.....in the 80s it was crash and burn (well, I did have a band pratice facility). I started DJ-ing though the 90s, never to pick up a guitar again until 2001. Sorry MLJ, I was gettin' carried away. When you said fusion, I lit up like a Christmas Tree. ::)

Memory Lane Jr

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 06:23:25 PM »
zagatron sounds like you have had an incredibly musical life. Mahavishnu Orchestra thanks for bringing that name back to me, I just watched You Know you Know on the Tube & I had tears of joy streaming down my face, awesome violin solo. What a band!!!!!!!
Yeh the disco days where a  killer I remember it was hard work to find a club with a band playing for a while around the coast here. Thanks for getting carried away mate you brought back some good memories. I put up a link to Mahavishnu video for anyone that loves incredible musicians & the great John Mclaughlin. 8)
http://www.johnmclaughlin.com/
http://youtu.be/ujcYw2QTPzM

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 09:49:21 PM »
Ahhhh man! Loved it! Billy Cobham kickin' them skins, Jan Hammer on the keys! I can probably name tons of groups and artists; King Crimson, Return to Forever, Weather Report, Passport, Brand X, not to mention different collaborations between musicans (Man, I can go on and on). Thing about it is I listened to the other fusion musicians as well (like drummers, keyboardists, etc.). Well MLJ, I'm on the fusion bus too. I'm open to other stuff too, like The Dixie Dregs for example. The mainstream likes dance music and that's fine for them. Folks like us really appreciate the music for what it is, and not just the "beat"!

Play on!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:51:07 PM by zagatron1 »

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 09:47:05 PM »
KING CRIMSON!!!

*wanders aimlessly muttering about ex wife taking the King Crimson albums....*

but i have cds now...spyro gyra, 'kind of blue', asleep at the wheel...man, i wish i had gotten a King Crimson cd...that first one...when i was into buying cds....

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 11:41:29 PM »
KING CRIMSON!!!

*wanders aimlessly muttering about ex wife taking the King Crimson albums....*

but i have cds now...spyro gyra, 'kind of blue', asleep at the wheel...man, i wish i had gotten a King Crimson cd...that first one...when i was into buying cds....

What! Reb! You too? Heyyyyy, it's never too late! I only had two albums from them that I eventually got in CD format and those where the 1969 "In the court of the Crimson King" and the 1974 "Red" CDs. Love 'em, just hate what I have to do to get 'em out if I ever want to listem to 'em (storage). Things will be different come spring, but that's another story.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:22:28 AM »
Talented kid! And he's a lefty!

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 12:21:43 PM »
guys - a one terabyte drive will hold more music than you could possibly have. they don't cost very much.  you could probably do your whole collection in a weekend, 2 at the most.  then all your music is accessible  AND  portable.  for example,  on my drive i have 284 albums and 80 movies, and a bunch of other crap, and programs, and a copy of my flight sim's files. and i still have 80% of the drive as free space.