Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Selling Music on line - is it worth it  (Read 3745 times)

Vladan

• http://vladanmovies.blogspot.com
  • High on own Supply
    • View Profile
Selling Music on line - is it worth it
« on: January 03, 2014, 06:35:45 AM »
Hey people,

I know some of you are doing it. Question is, are you satisfied with outcome of whole operation, or better said income?

I'm specifically interested in selling real own original music, maybe some covers. I'm not very much interested in selling tutorials, or similar, but any input is welcome.

Also, I'm interested in selling directly, not using any music selling sites like CD Baby, or whatever.
Obviously, I have no intention of developing some serious business, like our host Robert did, but rather simple scheme.

The model would be: Put an add on various forums, FB groups,..., those interested can contact author by e-mail, after/ if agreeing on terms, they make a payment in some way, after the payment is received author send them a CD, DVD, or a link for some kind of secure download.

Any experience, thoughts,..?

Also, donations? Have anyone ever donated anything to you?
I know I did not donate anything, to any artist (I do send a donation SMS, locally, for terribly ill kids and such).
I've placed a donation button on my, so called "home site", but I don't think anybody ever got to that page (haven't checked the stats really), while I'm quite positive nobody donated anything, guess Payzza would notify me about the event.

johannes.maas

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Re: Selling Music on line - is it worth it
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 03:14:54 PM »
My opinion: as long as you are no at least a in a bigger region known artist then no one will buy your stuff. Better be happy if people download and like your music. If you re a professional and make music to earn a living, then its different story.

The lead guitar player in our band has the opinion that we should put our songs to download on our homepge for like 0,50 per song.

I told him that this is total crap as no ine will download anything and in the end no one will listen to our music. We are not playing to earn our loving, we practise twice a week for the fun and a few gigs per year so we should give it away to attract more people.

My opinion...

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 06:21:52 PM »
The closest I got to people listening to me was when I played professionally in the 70s and some session work during the 90s, but it wasn't my own stuff. The listening public (mainstream) is so picky and uninformed that even what we regard as good stuff goes unnoticed! Think all of the best unknown guitar players, groups, etc. This happens mostly in the states. There were quite a few acts that left the states to go other places only to get the recognition, appreciation and respect they deserve. The last thing I'd want to do is waste my time trying to get some unknowing, mindless humanoid to buy my music (not that I have any right now). I just jam with friends when I get the chance. As long as I'm enjoying myself, f**k the rest. My opinion.

Play on folks!!!

Vladan

• http://vladanmovies.blogspot.com
  • High on own Supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 07:44:30 PM »
Well, I don't know. Most likely you are right. Aftrall, one of reasons I'd to pass on service providers is that I don't expect my music to earn enough to cover their rates.
I'll see how it goes with registration of copyright locally. If I can get some kind of worldwide copyright, unique ID, I don't know how it really works, I'd put it out for free and see if any income can come my way out of sheer airplay.

BTW, that music is nothing like what I've put here and on YT. It's all Pop-Rock -... with female singer (mostly), lyrics and all that. I mean, there is more, like some electronics and punk, but I was thinking about them pop songs.

hillbilly-joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 03:27:32 AM »
If you want to do, do it. It comes down to being a business person that has music to sell. Really nothing more than that. Look at all the guitar players that have DVD tutorials for sale. Do you know the smart ones are all working for the big marketeers to help market their products. Without them, they are throwing there stuff on the wall and hoping it sticks. Sometimes it does and they do make some very good money. Today, I think email seems to be the name of the game. At least that is how I see it and get nearly all my info.  Like they say, "it's in the mail, email, that is".

johannes.maas

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 02:44:57 PM »
For me selling music is something completely different than selling knowledge (e.g. b selling tutorials).