Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Input Time!  (Read 9993 times)

creekster52

• View Profile
Re: Input Time!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 06:11:03 PM »
Yeah, these days pawn shops use Ebay to determine pricing, and it is mostly low end guitars. They list the good stuff on Ebay because the potential market is much larger than their local market.

At least I will always have fond memories of all the Supro, Airline & Silvertone stuff, sitting there collecting dust in pawn shops on Austin Avenue in Waco. Hmmm...I wonder what ever happened to that Rickenbacker 12-string I put in lay-away over 40 years ago?

hillbilly-joe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »
Good point creek! Never thought of the guys like you said sellin' their stuff to do whatever they had to (or get to). Hey HJ, that's what they call them types of places over there, "Recycle Stores"?

That's one place I've never bought anything musical......a pawn shop. I wasn't well versed on the possible treasures that could be found in one. Not to mention back then I didn't know one if it bit me. Most of the time I was tryin' to sell something 'cause I was low ($$$$-wise). I'd see guitars hangin' up on the walls , but I was on a $$$ mission. I was born and raised in NC, but grew up in Md and now I'm in DC. If you see anything of exceptional value in the Pawn shops in this area, it wasn't for long. Now that was like you guys said, in the 60's and 70's. These days now that I know what to look for, all you see now is undesirables. Of course the internet puts a whole new twist on things as well.

Yep! They are called "Recycled Stores".  You know I just found out LP's of the 60's and early 70's have some good value in them. I wonder if you guys might be interested in some of them. I can keep a look out for them.  I have about 15 albums (japanese ones, but American bands, what nice about the japanese ones, many come with bonus songs not available in the States, that should add value + to these) Any idea what the going price for an Allman Brothers Band  "Brother and Sister" album might fetch.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 10:32:08 PM »
I don't fall for the old stuff is better than new stuff.  I've played a '56 LP Jr, '59 LP Jr DC, and today, a '65 Strat.  I like my Warmoth Strat better. I like thin finishes and some of the guitars out there today. Newer guitars play and sound better.  I like my vintage Traynor because it was cheap, and new hand wired stuff sounds great but costs ten times as much.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 11:30:57 PM »
Yeah, I pretty much go for what I like..... y'know, what feels good in your hands, sounds like you want and affordable (let's not forget that! ::). So, if it just  "happens" to fall in either the new or old stuff categories, that is good.