Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Practice Space  (Read 4930 times)

creekster52

• View Profile
Practice Space
« on: February 07, 2014, 06:43:38 PM »
How do bands these days find rehearsal or practice space these days? I'm talking about a dedicated space, where everyone can safely leave their equipment until the next session.

In the past, I have always had a space in my home, or a bandmate's home. Usually a converted garage, living room, etc. I now live in a small apartment in Dallas. Noise is not an option, much less hauling gear up to my 3rd story apartment. Some friends used to rent storage units and fix them up as rehearsal spaces, but that is prohibited in most places these days.

So...I was just curious as to what people do these days, aside from worship type bands who get to use a facility at their church, etc.

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Practice Space
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 10:30:04 PM »
Back in the 80's I started out with one floor (2nd) in a small 3 story brick office building. It used to house some Real Estate companies, but they moved out. So, I inquired about the place and (with a friend) got the okay to rent it. In time we had the whole building (3 floors). So I rented space out to some locals and bands from out of town that were making appearances locally. We're fairly successful after awhile so we sold some accessories on the 1st. floor (like cords, strings, drum sticks, etc.). My next plan was to have a studio on the premises, but ran into some problems. Our regulars kept their gear in their respective, reserved rooms. When that operation "tanked" just before 1990, everybody that had a room, moved on. Fees that weren't paid, well they couldn't get their stuff until they took care of it. Quite a bit of gear was put in storage. I couldn't believe all the stuff that "wasn't" claimed.  :P Lots of stuff was just left there, mike stands, guitar amps, drum kits, PA boards, cabling, etc. Anyway, I take it you're looking for yourself and not to make dough like I did. ::) Actually, I was thinking of doing it again, but don't have the capital right now. :(  Wish I had a suggestion for ya creek. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 10:35:54 PM by zagatron1 »

johannes.maas

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 05:45:50 AM »
We (atm 4 Bandmembers) rent a large room 2nd floor in an office building. Then offices are used only twice per week and only until 4pm so we do ot disturb ppl working there.

The 2nd floor was planned as a flat but the owner is just allowed to lease for companies or for business reasons as the area is a zone for economic activities.

Everythingvis new and it seems to be safe to store our equipment there. Nevertheless we have an equipment insurance just in case some idiots will steal our stuff (approx 12.000 of equipment there )

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 04:18:12 AM »
Interesting stories from both of you. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Vladan

• http://vladanmovies.blogspot.com
  • High on own Supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 07:33:01 AM »
Couple of years ago, when there still was some money around, I looked for a small isolated building, even a 30m2 cellar would do enough, but nobody was selling something like that for reasonable money at reasonable location. Now there's no money and nobody's selling anything anywhere.
People around here do not sell property, not just real estate but everything and anything, at it's market price but at one they'd whish to get.
They'll wait for years, rather not selling it at all, letting it rot to dust, than giving it at lower price.

hillbilly-joe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 09:03:20 PM »
Couple of years ago, when there still was some money around, I looked for a small isolated building, even a 30m2 cellar would do enough, but nobody was selling something like that for reasonable money at reasonable location. Now there's no money and nobody's selling anything anywhere.
People around here do not sell property, not just real estate but everything and anything, at it's market price but at one they'd whish to get.
They'll wait for years, rather not selling it at all, letting it rot to dust, than giving it at lower price.

Interesting, here they just throw even good stuff in the trash. I never have to buy fishing poles or reels.

Vladan

• http://vladanmovies.blogspot.com
  • High on own Supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 09:24:07 PM »
That's because you live in a money rich society. I remember early 90s, when I lived in Netherlands for couple of years. We had whole flat equipped of the street. Furniture, appliances, TV sets, stereos, everything. All for free.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 04:18:31 PM »
It is amazing what some people discard. When I lived on my sailboat in Florida, I got tons of boating equipment out of the dumpsters...fenders, anchors, hardware, stainless steel screws, double-braided line, pieces of teak & mahogany, etc.

In the U.S., if a person has a pickup truck, he could easily scavenge most of the furniture needed, and there is money sitting on the curb in the form of recyclable metals.