Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Input Time; Trends  (Read 3638 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Input Time; Trends
« on: February 13, 2014, 10:47:54 AM »
I kills me the way some charge ridiculously high prices on what THEY regard as "vintage" used effect pedals. I realize that country of origin "thang", but c'mon. One example, I compared one Boss CS-3 Compression / Sustainer pedal to the Boss CS-2 version. Other than the obvious visual differences (the newer version has a tone knob), the elder is made in Japan, while the current model Taiwan. In my research I've seen prices for the MIJ version from $72 to $140 and all points between, while the current version is $99. For performance......well my ears ain't "all that", but I do not hear any major differences to justify some of the higher asking prices. As I stated earlier, the newer version has a tone knob.........wow! Anyway, this particular example is just a sign of the times. While the Boss CE-5 Chorus pedal is $99, someone is tryin' to get $175 for a CE-2. It's a good pedal, but c'mon! If the difference is THAT critical, why change it in the first place?! ??? I thought the subtle little "improvements" were for the better. Not with just Boss, but all who play this game. I've seen a MIJ Boss OD-1 (serial #0300 wow!) for $229.99. So what!!! Gimme a Wampler Pinnacle for $199.97!! Hell, even the Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe Distortion pedal is a whopping .02 cheaper! Collecting is cool, but me.......I'm gonna use them damn things. You best believe dat!!!! I don't need a conversation piece THAT bad. What say you? 8)

Peace out and play on! ;)

No Boss pedals were harmed in this example.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:51:04 AM by zagatron1 »

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Input Time; Trends
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 03:13:38 PM »
Haha, well they seller says "These are not cheap, and only will sell if person is right..."

Better hope you are the right person then!

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 10:20:13 PM »
Haha, well they seller says "These are not cheap, and only will sell if person is right..."

Better hope you are the right person then!

Yeah, that is an interesting prerequisite, being the right person haha! I'd better look in a mirror to see if in fact I AM right ;D .

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 07:34:52 PM »
Some of this is just more vintage hype. But, many of the older pedals were point-to-point circuits and made with high quality components. I have a Morely Pro Series II dist/wah/volume pedal (10 years old +/-). I do not like it as quite as much as the older Morely dist/wah/volume (chrome case) I had back in the early '80s. It functions the same way, but there is a little difference in the wah response. Especially the "cocked wah" position. 

Unless you are a "vintage collector", just use your ears. If it sounds good and does the job you intended, who cares when or where it was made.