Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Where to start with pedals  (Read 6022 times)

SteveW

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Where to start with pedals
« on: February 23, 2014, 07:17:39 AM »
I have a tele and a blues junior but no pedals. Where do you start with pedals ??? It seems overwhelming. Any suggestions would be appreciated

GaryP

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Re: Where to start with pedals
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 10:23:38 AM »
I am not sure about other effects, but I recently bought a looper pedal ( Boss RC3) and it is the best practice tool and the most fun I could get for the money. 8)

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 11:30:27 AM »
I would think about the type of music I play mostly, then think about the pedal that would most enhance my sound. Well, that's a subtle approach anyway.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 02:59:09 PM »
it is possible that 'pedals' are not necessary.  i have a digitech rp 70.  if i am willing to look at several levels of 'control' on it, i can find sounds i like. are they as good as separate pedals??? honestly, i can't hear all that jive that some people hear in pedals and amps.  some of it is fantasy, i think.  a bunch of people will disagree with me...i don't care.  if you try a multi-effect pedal (zoom's low priced ones are pretty good sounding to-do a net search for reviews of multi effect pedals). i think there is a culture of 'gotta have'; it is competitive with 'what you got? i got better/more expensive/more 'in''. that culture doesn't do much for my playing.

if you buy one of the low end multi-effects boxes, you may be able to at least find out what effects you like, and which you don't. personally, i don't much like most chorus effects...maybe you will find you don't like overdrive, or metal or digital delay...but it's a lot better to have some idea where you are going than to order a grand's worth of pedals and realize you don't know where you are.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 03:08:48 PM »
Reb has the right idea.

You could start with an inexpensive multi-effects pedal. There are always some great deals on Ebay, and often there are units with a more rugged metal housing. One approach would be to check Ebay and see what's available in your price range. Then check some YouTube video demos of that pedal to determine if it has the effects/sounds you want to use.

Building up a pedal board with an arsenal of individual pedals can be quite expensive. After you determine which effects you use most often, you may want to consider individual pedals to dial in your own signature sound. But if you do a lot of cover songs, you may want to stick with a multi unit that allows you to create your own specific pre-set patches.

There are players who only use a couple of pedals. Depends on the type of music you want to play.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 04:26:05 PM »
I got this in my email today. This unit doesn't have an expression pedal, but it might be an economical place to start at $60.

http://www.samash.com/zoom-g2nu-guitar-effects-pedal-usb-interface-z2nuxxxxx?utm_source=022414newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=zoompedal

Vladan

• http://vladanmovies.blogspot.com
  • High on own Supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 07:38:24 AM »
I'm with Reb too. I still use 90's Boss SE70 with (when I even use them) self made double footswitch and Behringer expression pedal. Have no idea why would I need anything else? On the other hand, I think SE70 was at about top of the line at the time.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 09:20:52 PM »
Start with Wah.  The Blues Jr has reverb and decent and OD tones...

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 05:44:48 AM »
Ted Nugent is a good example of the minimalist approach to pedals. You can see his setup at 16:20 in the video below.

http://youtu.be/rbV4jj2G6eA

Uh...SteveW...Are you there??    ::)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:51:07 AM by creekster52 »