Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Input time! "Boutique" pedals ????  (Read 11341 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Input time! "Boutique" pedals ????
« on: March 06, 2014, 01:31:08 PM »
I'll let this article speak for itself - http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_forum/index.php?showtopic=41778  What say you?

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Input time! "Boutique" pedals ????
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 04:32:18 PM »
Rebranded Chinese pedals? I have no knowledge about that.

I find I like many of the unusual boutique pedals since they are often unique and weird! Pricey they are, yes.

Just to get a good tone for low dollars, there are many options out there. The Cool Cat pedals for example, are excellent value. They are probably Chinese-made, I reckon.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:33:56 PM »
Rebranded Chinese pedals? I have no knowledge about that.

I find I like many of the unusual boutique pedals since they are often unique and weird! Pricey they are, yes.

Just to get a good tone for low dollars, there are many options out there. The Cool Cat pedals for example, are excellent value. They are probably Chinese-made, I reckon.

You are right! Made in China. For the hell of it, I did what I told myself I wasn't gonna do and that was to try one. The pedal in question (the one I picked up actually) is the JF-34, otherwise known as the "US Dream" pedal. Now from what I've seem around, this one is "supposed" to be their take on the Suhr Riot. Same color an' all. Well, close anyway! Now I personally don't know what the Riot sounds like (other than what I've heard on YouTube videos), so I can neither confirm nor deny this. But........for a $10 USD investment, who's complaining? Not me! It IS true bypass, not touch sensitive though. Sounds quite good to my ears.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:37:23 PM by zagatron1 »

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 10:40:02 PM »
Way too much boutique this and signature that in the music instrument business. My philosophy is that if it works for YOU, that's all that should matter.

Manufacturing in Asian countries has developed and improved greatly over the past few years. Remember when Fender started producing the Squier line in Indonesia? They were utterly crap at the beginning. Now they have a lot of the production kinks worked out, and have developed a skilled workforce. The Indonesian guitars these days, in many cases, rival the Korean produced models, and even some of the U.S. models.

Bear in mind that Asian countries have been producing electronics for the U.S. market much longer than they have been producing guitars.

The hand-painted pedal phenomenon was initially a result of stoned, bored players who had art supplies around the house because their room-mates, or girlfriends were artists or art students.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 01:29:29 PM »
How do you get the JF-34 for 10 bucks?

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 06:40:55 PM »
How do you get the JF-34 for 10 bucks?

During my "scanning sessions" on Craigslist, I sometimes find unreal deals. Sometimes I'll take a chance and just monitor ads I may have interest in and how long they've been there. Would you believe this items' asking price started out at $35? As time went on, the price dropped gradually over time. The last was $20, but I managed to talk it down to $10. I "flip" a lot of stuff too. Got a "free" Frontman bass amp a while back. Ad said it was non-working, but the pilot light comes on. ??? That's a positive sign for me. Picked it up (15 min. round trip), took it home. Had it working within 30 minutes. Sold it for $150 six days later. ;D Now THAT'S a good flip! If I got one of those a day, man I'd be.......oooooo let's just say satisfied. :) Getting guitars from folks who had the INTENTION of learning how to play only to bail on the idea can be gold mines! I got a Squier "Pro Tone" Strat from a guy two years ago who fit that description for $60! Sold it 6 months later for $325! All I did to it was a set up! That's it. ;)

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 01:17:51 AM »
Whoa you know how to make deal dontcha! :)

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 02:05:11 AM »
Whoa you know how to make deal dontcha! :)

Yeah, been doin' it for a spell. Business been real slow for the last few, so I got this to fall back on.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 09:04:12 PM »
I had the Ultimate Drive. It is basically a Fulltone OCD. Also there is a tube screamer that sounds the same as well.  The biggest deal I remember is the brand Freakish Blues that was busted using Joyo's Octivefuzz pedal repainting it and claiming as their own Chubb Up.  Again, I think they are great pedals,  the Tech 21 Sansamp clones are about $60, very worth the price.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 01:39:01 PM »
Knowing what you now know about the "rebranding" practice, what's your take on the situation? I don't use pedals like some, so I don't see myself buying much more than the few I already have and they've been with me since new. Looks like the rebranding thing is more dominate in the overdrive/distortion market than anything else. I think it's possible to "adjust" one's way of thinking or expectation before hearing an effect for the first time. To do so can cloud ones judgment. And the clones......well maybe a twist (here or there) on an original design, an omission or addition. :-\ I dunno, just a thought.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 10:52:24 PM »
Check out a YouTube channel, "Intheblues" Shane has been covering these pedals recently. He really likes them.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 12:25:29 AM »
Yeah, I've seen quite a few of his (Shane) vids from time to time. I think the first vid of his I ever saw was one for the Tube Overdrive (TO-1) from DeltaLab. He might have been comparing it to a Tube Screamer or something.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 03:36:14 PM »
Speaking of boutique, I had the chance the other day try out a "real deal" Klon KTR pedal "in the flesh" so to speak. One of the guys that I jam with occasionally (when he's in town) has one. Wouldn't tell me how much he paid for it, but I know how much he's askin' for it, 'cause it's up for sale now. I tried it out while he was here. Too bad I won't get a chance to compare it to the Electro-Harmonix Soul Food pedal I got comin'. Anyway, I'm not at all impressed. I mean, it's alright, but.............! Anyway, the EH Soul Food pedal is $62.81, so no big deal. I can use it as a boost or something. Interesting enough on the top of the KTR pedal reads and I quote "Kindly remember: the ridiculous hype that offends so many is not of my making".

Oh yeah guys......"they" (the masses) are already marking the Soul Food pedal up 40%+ on Ebay and it hasn't been out a good 6 months yet! Damn, you could learn about trends in the gear biz and use those strategies in the stock market. Hmmmmm! ::)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 09:15:13 PM by zagatron1 »

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 10:47:46 PM »
I just bought the American Sound pedal from Joyo instead of a Sansamp for my Tech 21 Power Engine.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 12:30:42 AM »
I just bought the American Sound pedal from Joyo instead of a Sansamp for my Tech 21 Power Engine.

Did'ja like it? I'm not an authority on "dirt pedals", but I had the Joyo US Dream and from what I've heard, folks believe it's Joyo's version of Suhr's Riot pedal. I don't know, but the US Dream sounds okay to me.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:38:28 AM by zagatron1 »