Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Input Time! "Reissues!"  (Read 3331 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Input Time! "Reissues!"
« on: March 16, 2014, 02:25:09 PM »
Reissues! When we see something we thought was long gone, here comes the Reissue! I thought about this "issue" when I started messin' around with pedals for the last year or two. What I mean is really gettin' in to the crux of the situation. Lately, well.........let's take the Boss DS-1. Some say it's a truly classic distortion pedal. I think remember "around" when it first hit the scene. Now, most folks (myself included) would probably leave a good thing alone. Not Boss! Many people swear that the older Japan made pedals sounds better than the newer ones made in Taiwan. If it's ALL that, why mess with a good thing? I've been inside a few and did some research on this thing and found some differences like for example from 1978, the DS-1 was using a Toshiba TA7136AP opamp. This remained unchanged for about 16 years, but in 1994 it was replaced by the Rohm BA728N. In 2000 the opamp was again changed. This time the Mitsubishi M5223AL was used. The last change I can trace is around 2006 when the New Japan Radio NJM2904L opamp was used. Cosmetic changes? Very little. The older ones had a black label compared to the current silver ones. In this particular case they don't emphasis the term reissue, but that's basically what it is. I think all of this is a case of "long term bait and switch". I'm old school, you find something that works, you stick with it. These people like to tweak stuff to lower costs (another goal of theirs) without screwing things up entirely. Probably why production moved in the first place. Are folks capitalizing on the sale of used (Japan) units? You bet yer ass! There's tons of examples, but I used the DS-1 'cause I bought one when they first came out and at that time I was using a '76 MXR Distortion Plus. To have an allegiance to something is cool, but you gotta be on your toes (and willing to pay the price) if there's something out there you want. They'll be gone before you know it. Supply and demand! Get yer Electro-Harmonix Soul Food pedal 'fore they're gone (or go up in $$$$$)...........again! I got mine and the only reason is the $62.81(for now) price tag. Sounds okay. This stuff of course is not limited to pedals, but other gear as well. Business politics and economics all have a role to play in all of this as well. My guess is that's what it ALL boils down to.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:27:13 PM by zagatron1 »

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Input Time! "Reissues!"
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 10:42:28 AM »
I'm not sure what are saying. Are you saying buy an old pedal because it was better then? Or buy the new one that you like before it changes?

I find there are so many good pedals, guitars and amps out there. The vintage hype is a waste of time and money, in my opinion.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 12:16:25 PM »
I'm not sure what are saying. Are you saying buy an old pedal because it was better then? Or buy the new one that you like before it changes?

I find there are so many good pedals, guitars and amps out there. The vintage hype is a waste of time and money, in my opinion.

Here's an example; A pedal comes on the scene right? Then, folks buy it. It gets rave reviews! Hangs around for a year (or two) until it's discontinued for "whatever" reason. It's the REASON I often wonder about. Anyway, after a short hiatus, it rises again as a reissue along with changes.....a opamp here, a capacitor there, a resistor value change, who knows? At this point, it's frowned upon by purists, raved by others and dissected by modders. Made in America, Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, Indonesia, Vietnam, Australia, Sweden, etc, etc. Like you said, there's so many good stuff out there, so why can't some of these "never satisfied" folk just leave it alone and just get what they want and chill? Seems folks these days have a tendency to over analyze everything (gear) so much that I guess they DO need lessons from fine folks like yourself when they finally decide to play. I'm probably too old to understand all of this stuff, 'cause in my prime, we didn't worry about the things these cats today are concerned about. We (Yeah! Back in da' day!!) just played the hell out of our axes. My volume AND tone knobs on the guitar stayed on 10!!! If you had a pedal, you'd just go for it! We didn't know (or care) where a guitar was manufactured, we were just happy to have one. I'd borrow guitars before I bought my first one for $5! Them's was the days.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 12:26:41 PM by zagatron1 »

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 10:21:45 PM »
Buy a used Digitech Bad Monkey for $20 and don't look back...