Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Input Time! "What's in a name?"  (Read 4359 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Input Time! "What's in a name?"
« on: March 27, 2014, 11:23:25 AM »
Having some connections has it's advantages and this time this privilege has allowed me to actually test a couple of pedals. Today, we'll look at the MXR M264 FET Driver, and the MXR CSP265 Custom Shop Joe Bonamassa FET Driver. This comparison is short and sweet. The end result is probably already known by the gear savvy folks here. For the sake of curiosity, I played with 'em anyway. The following paragraph describes my take as well.

".......the MXR FET Driver captures the rich, creamy sound of an overdriven tube amplifier by cascading an op-amp gain stage into a FET stage. The FET Driver thickens up lead tones with musical, amp-like distortion and sustain without the fragility and inconsistency associated with tubes."

The same could be said for both, and is. I tried it! So what's the difference? $149.99 vs $169.99! Which one would I choose? You guessed it, the $149.99 M264 FET driver of course! Why? Because the $20 for "a name, repositioned Hi and Lo boost/cut controls and a so-so paint job" I save could be used for something else. I'm sure the latter is worth it to somebody. I 'm gonna be savoring the sound I get, not staring at the dang thing! If it ever turns out the value of the CSP265 pedal increases (a la original Tube Screamer) it won't be in my lifetime. Sum it up as "The Business" or BS makes the world go 'round.

Play on!!!

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Input Time! "What's in a name?"
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 08:10:40 PM »
I've wondered myself if his signature wah is worth it...

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 12:02:08 AM »
I've wondered myself if his signature wah is worth it...

Me too DB! I figured his and the other signature wahs can't be TOO different from the original GBC-95. I could be (and probably am) wrong. The pots are adjustable for the sweep.  The only differences I ever noticed was some of 'em (don't know which ones) are "true bypass" while others use single-pole switching which adds significant impedance and does affect the tone to some degree. BTW, I'm referring to the ones made by Dunlop. Heck, they have over 10 models......some with fuzz,  a volume boost, the 105Q for bass, etc.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 09:12:02 AM »
I have the GCB95F, it already does a bit of a boost when engaged, already has true bypass, and sounds awesome.  I paid $50 plus another $10 for a new Hot Potz.... $110 cheaper than a "Signature" wah...

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 10:33:51 AM »
Good deal! I replaced the pot in a dude's GBC95 (he had his own part) and he paid $25! He had one of those Hot Potz and was tellin' me about I and II versions. I don't remember which one he had tho'. I haven't used my old wah in ages. I have an old ('70), all original V846 Vox wah.