Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Fender Frontman 25R  (Read 8885 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Fender Frontman 25R
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:24:09 PM »
Ever wonder why some gear is discontinued? My guess is it's just progress. I used to wonder why, but I've been told the I tend to "overanalyze" things, but I guess I can't help it sometimes. Been cruisin' the net lately and found one of the popular good ol' practice amps out there goin' for prices in excess of $200+ USD!! Yes!! The Fender Frontman 25R series II (PR498), made in Indonesia amp, in all it's 7-Ply 3/4" Medium-Density Fibreboard glory at one time had an MSRP of only $129.99 and a street price of $99.99 is now on eBay for 149.99 and Amazon for $250! Folks will do just about anything to get over. It's predecessor the older PR225, made in Mexico Frontman 25R was a far better amp! Still not worth $200+, or even $100, but a better made amp. Oh well.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fender Frontman 25R
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 08:13:48 PM »
No kidding. I bought a brand new Epiphone Valve Jr head for $70. That same amp used is nearly double. The Fender Champ 600 was on clearance for $99 and now they are nearly $200 used.  Amazing!

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 08:25:09 AM »
No kidding. I bought a brand new Epiphone Valve Jr head for $70. That same amp used is nearly double. The Fender Champ 600 was on clearance for $99 and now they are nearly $200 used.  Amazing!

Agreed! It is amazing. I'd rather have either one of the two amps you mentioned with that Mr. Black Deluxe Plus pedal as an added bonus. What a combination! ;)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 09:43:34 PM »

Agreed! It is amazing. I'd rather have either one of the two amps you mentioned with that Mr. Black Deluxe Plus pedal as an added bonus. What a combination! ;)

I bought a vintage Traynor for $225. New speaker, power tubes, and soon to be a new cabinet, all for less than half of a vintage reissue or a fraction of the vintage a Fender or Marshall..

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:09:30 PM »
Yeah, I see those Traynor amps every once in awhile come through the "CL". There's a Vintage '70's Traynor YGM-4 Studiomate amp that's been in there for about a week now. It's a 20 watt with 4-8" speakers in it. Th' guy's askin' $385 for it. Nice lookin' thing. Never heard one of those before. The only other guitar related thing I know of with that speaker combination is that "HT- 408" Speaker Cabinet by Blackstar with the 4 eights in it. Them Traynors are a good buy as well as good amps.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 08:10:33 PM »
That's exactly the same amp as I have.  Really good amp. Cross between an AC15 and Fender Deluxe Reverb. Paid a lot less than that!  The cab is really big. Perfect for swapping out the 4x8 and become a 2x12 stacked cab.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 11:39:04 PM »
The 4x8 combination doesn't have enough "umph" for ya? Reason I asked is I got a "free" Peavey Backstage Chorus 208 amp a couple o' years ago and I never, ever heard a pair of 8" speakers sound as full is that thing did. If I was blindfolded, I'd swear it was a single 12" in there. Of course the magnets were almost as big in diameter as the speakers themselves. BTW, they where made by Eminence and they were stock. I was impressed. Kinda makes me wonder if havin' a 8" speaker like that in a Fender Champ would give it some better low end. Some "balls", know what I mean? ;)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 09:25:42 PM »
The 4x8 combination doesn't have enough "umph" for ya? Reason I asked is I got a "free" Peavey Backstage Chorus 208 amp a couple o' years ago and I never, ever heard a pair of 8" speakers sound as full is that thing did. If I was blindfolded, I'd swear it was a single 12" in there. Of course the magnets were almost as big in diameter as the speakers themselves. BTW, they where made by Eminence and they were stock. I was impressed. Kinda makes me wonder if havin' a 8" speaker like that in a Fender Champ would give it some better low end. Some "balls", know what I mean? ;)

Actually someone yanked them and put in a 1x12 baffle.  Never heard it as a 4x8

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 07:22:22 PM »
I'll probably hear a 4x8 set up one day I guess. Just curious.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 08:48:33 AM »
Black star makes a 4x8 cab. Supposed to sound really good.